Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Red Sails Is Hardly for Rock Gigs

ALEXEI alexeis@usa.net
Mon, 20 May 2002 15:50:12 +0300

Red Sails is an excellent work.  Why not play something from it?  Hmmm...
Definitely, "Kosciusco" and "Best of Both Worlds" and "Helps Me Helps You" are
quite convertible to the pure guitar and drum combination and can be played at
gigs without detriment to their original effect.  But Sails in general is way
above the charming simplicity of instrumentation... to me, it veers off the
original Oils' musical path and is an attempt if not to move to a different
sound, then to probe beyond the already reached horizons.  I think the heart
and soul of Sails is "Bells and Horns", with its twists in pace and
orchestration, and though it's on the way out of the album, it sort of
determines the sound of the album in general--sudden switches between acoustic
and electric, frugal and symphonic, instrumental and purely vocal bits, etc.
Even the studio environment, if I hear it correctly, sounds like one in which
a chamber orchestra would record: soft, no reverb, locked in a small,
sound-absorbing space... very unlike a rock band's sound setting...

Anyway, what I'm driving at is that little of Red Sails can be played live in
a setting other than a chamber hall.

Cheers, all,

Alexei

Jeff and Jane Scott <jscott@iinet.net.au> wrote:
At 19-05-02 07:59 PM -0400, Tom Davies wrote:
>On Sun, 19 May 2002, John Palmer wrote:
>
> > As far as 'Kosciusco' goes, I know it has been stated on this list that
Rob
> > says they don't play it anymore because he can't get his voice up that
high
> > anymore.
>
>I've heard that before, and I've often wished they would just change the
>song a bit so that Rob doesn't have to sing that really high part. It
>would still be a great, great song if it were sung lower. I don't know
>enough to say exactly how it should be transposed, but I'm sure it could
>be done if Rob wanted to do it. Or if Peter wanted to take over lead
>vocals on that song -- I can imagine him sounding great singing it, in a
>lower register of course. There's just so much power, so much punch, in
>that song.

Peter has sung it at times in the past.  I guess these days with so many
songs to choose from it's easier just to play something else.

jeff...