Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] See magazine, Edmonton - Oil burns on article

j p niven poppycocteau@flashmail.com
Sat, 18 May 2002 13:23:36 -0700

See magazine (Edmonton) #441 May 9-15, 2002

(photo caption) AROUND MIDNIGHT  Australia's Midnight Oil have
developed a reputation for political activism and writing politically
charged dance-floor anthems. How did that happen?

Oil burns on
Aussie firebrands flare up anew
MIDNIGHT OIL
Wednesday, May 15
At Red's

THEY'RE BACK--BUT DID MIDNIGHT Oil ever really go away?
    Back in the late '80s, the airwaves were filled with the
Australian band's signature anthems like _The Power and the Passion_.
The fact that the songs were dance-floor friendly hardly undercut the
urgency of the political beliefs that informed the lyrics and the
band's activism. It was their political engagement, in fact, that
caused them to step back from the international stage and focus on
matters closer to home.
    "Certainly what was happening at home was more than enough to get
our teeth into in the sense of a swing to the right, and strong
national debates about issues that we'd always been a part of,"
explains spokesman/singer Peter Garrett. "We didn't agonize about it,
but I think we did deliberately make a decision that the band would
stay vital, even if less visible, if it stayed connected to its roots
at home."
    The band's absence from radio and video play belies the amount of
activity they've undertaken Down Under. Garrett has kept his profile
flying in the face of a shifting current political climate in
Australia, which foreshadowed the sweeping dark cloud hovering over
Europe and North America.
    "To the country's credit, in some ways we've gotten through that
and even though there was that and even though there was some
acceptance of policy initiatives by the mainstream right which I have
disagreed with, at the same time the National Front-type parties have
faded away. I'm not sure we enjoyed the process of taking on the
right wing, but I think it's one of the things we do."
    The Oil haven't remained silent on issues concerning the rest of
the Earth. In 1990 they performed in front of Exxon's Manhattan
headquarters to protest the Exxon Valdez oil spill, and Garrett was
in B.C. during the Clayoquot Sound clearcut protests.
    Now Midnight Oil are returning with a new album, _Capricornia,_
which should once again raise their North American profile. It
carries on the sound they introduced almost two decades ago. And
Garrett denies the music is just a vehicle for the band's messages of
social justice, environmentalism and equality.
    "People quite often see the band as a means of expressing a
particular viewpoint. It's not that important--the band is making
music which collects among itself some words that have meanings which
can be political. We've never seen the band as creating a manifesto.
We're creating noises that stimulate interest and then entertain
people."
    WARREN FOOTZ