Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: The Last Of The Diggers

lord aufbau lordaufbau@yahoo.com
Thu, 16 May 2002 19:44:25 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the post.

"The Last of the Diggers" has really touched me ever
since I first listened to it.  I spent the better part
of the last ten years working in a Veterans
Administration Hospital here in the U.S.  When I
started I saw WWI veterans with some frequency, at
least several a month. I saw fewer and fewer of them
as the time went by, most of the ones I did see had
lied about their age to get into the military early.
During my last year working at the hospital, about 2
years ago now, I didn't see a single WWI veteran
during the entire year.  I literally, at least on a
small scale, had watched a generation pass before my
eyes.

I guess popular awareness of WWI is much greater in
Australia than here in the US as the Australians where
much more actively involved for the greater portion of
the war, but in any event you have to hand it to the
Oils for recognizing and actually writing songs about
this tragic period.  Hopefully the lessons learned
will not be forgotten.

Brett