Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] SF mystery song someone asked about

leftjab leftjab@well.com
Wed, 15 May 2002 11:42:18 -0700

--=====================_19518182==_.ALT

while I still remember some details of the show ... it wasn't really a
whole song, just Jim playing what I do think is the "Six Months" riff with
Peter's words for about a minute. I thought he was singing something like
"Ayr Itiruroa" (?) while also talking about Bones.

i noticed that after the opener "Been Away Too Long," Bones looked at his
setlist, got a different bass from the sound guy, and then when "Too Much
Sunshine" started he glared and smiled at the tech, who smiled back.  I
surmised someone apparently had written down a different song on Bones'
list to throw him off.  He played fine with the "wrong" bass.  it's always
great when you can tell the band and crew get along and are joking with
each other.  a couple of people have commented about how the energy level
wasn't as high at the show, and I thought the audience more than the band
was a bit low key.  still, the show rocked, and hearing "Comfortable Place
on the Couch" and the amazing "RW" loop swirling around the beautiful,
acoustically wonderful Warfield was enough for me.  even a show that isn't
their "best" is at a very high level, and I wish I could've road-tripped to
see more than just the 3 SF shows the last few months ... maybe this summer ...

the band also brought out a cake for Bones' birthday, which is weird
because at my first ever Oils' show, in '85 at Jones Beach Theater outside
New York City opening for UB40, they brought out a cake as well (pieces of
which they gave to the fans, unlike at SF).  no, I didn't yell out for
"Weddingcake Island," though that would be wonderful live.

Jonathan

At 01:40 AM 5/12/02 -0500, The Oilman wrote:
>Someone had posted about the San Fran Warfield show along with a setlist,
>they sisn't know the song that the Oils covered and sort of improvised for
>Bones birthday. A friend of mine who was at the show wrote me and told me
>the song was as follows....
>

>a variation on Split Enz "Six Months In A
>Leaky Boat" with changed verse describing the family of birthday boy Bones
>Hillman, etc. etc.
> >>>

>Hope that helps who ever had asked the question, I don't think I ever
>heard this song before.
>
>OILMAN

--=====================_19518182==_.ALT

while I still remember some details of the show ... it wasn't really a
whole song, just Jim playing what I do think is the &quot;Six
Months&quot; riff with Peter's words for about a minute. I thought he was
singing something like &quot;Ayr Itiruroa&quot; (?) while also talking
about Bones.<br><br>
i noticed that after the opener &quot;Been Away Too Long,&quot; Bones
looked at his setlist, got a different bass from the sound guy, and then
when &quot;Too Much Sunshine&quot; started he glared and smiled at the
tech, who smiled back.&nbsp; I surmised someone apparently had written
down a different song on Bones' list to throw him off.&nbsp; He played
fine with the &quot;wrong&quot; bass.&nbsp; it's always great when you
can tell the band and crew get along and are joking with each
other.&nbsp; a couple of people have commented about how the energy level
wasn't as high at the show, and I thought the audience more than the band
was a bit low key.&nbsp; still, the show rocked, and hearing
&quot;Comfortable Place on the Couch&quot; and the amazing &quot;RW&quot;
loop swirling around the beautiful, acoustically wonderful Warfield was
enough for me.&nbsp; even a show that isn't their &quot;best&quot; is at
a very high level, and I wish I could've road-tripped to see more than
just the 3 SF shows the last few months ... maybe this summer
...<br><br>
the band also brought out a cake for Bones' birthday, which is weird
because at my first ever Oils' show, in '85 at Jones Beach Theater
outside New York City opening for UB40, they brought out a cake as well
(pieces of which they gave to the fans, unlike at SF).&nbsp; no, I didn't
yell out for &quot;Weddingcake Island,&quot; though that would be
wonderful live.<br><br>
Jonathan<br><br>
At 01:40 AM 5/12/02 -0500, The Oilman wrote:<br>
one
had posted about the San Fran Warfield show along with a setlist, they
sisn't know the song that the Oils covered and sort of improvised for
Bones birthday. A friend of mine who was at the show wrote me and told me
the song was as follows....</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
a variation on Split Enz &quot;Six Months In A<br>
Leaky Boat&quot; with changed verse describing the family of birthday boy
Bones<br>
Hillman, etc. etc.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
question, I don't think I ever heard this song before.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;</blockquote></html>