Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Calgary Show Reflections

fish_oil@space.com fish_oil@space.com
Wed, 15 May 2002 12:20:22 -0700 (PDT)

Ahoy Fellow Workers,

     What a show it was. I must say it was everything
I'd hoped for and more.
     Will Hoge was decent; his finale of Dylan + the
Band's "Quinn the Eskimo" was especially appropo given
the bloody weather. They understood what they were
there to do. I liked 'em.

     The setlist was posted as per David's disk (if
anybody wants it again, I could post it later) with the
exception of "Golden Age" which surfaced between "US
Forces" and "Only The Strong". Wow. The fellas really
went for it. Peter was sensational, lurching and
sweating up a storm. Rob grinned non-stop. Jim was
omnipresent in a subtle kind of way, and it was amazing
how he, Bones and Martin knew each other so well. In
all they seemed to be really enjoying the crowd, and
commented afterwards that the crowd was great. Aside
from a couple of light headed reefer huffers who
insisted on lighting up in the front row and were
escorted out with minimal fan fare, there were no major
interruptions. The crowd was there to dig the Oils. I'm
guessing about 700 souls.
     There were no major rants about the G-8 summit
here next month, although it did make a mention in "E
Beat" I believe it was. Peter did make a poetic kind of
monologue about the absence of tatoos and jewellry on
his person, and what that might mean. He spoke in a
humorous but touchingly transparent way about the need
and the HOPE for some kind of inner beaty at the end of
the day, when "all that kind of thing falls away." It
was very cool.

     After the show a bunch of us got into a "meet 'n
greet' session, thanks to a friend of the guy with the
GREEN disc -- thanks, man, hope you find your way onto
this list today and sorry I didn't get your name -- and
got autographs and were privelaged to a little chit
chat. The guys in the band were so kind and real. My
daughter commented that they were 'so gentle and nice';
after seeing Peter perform, she seemed terrified of
meeting him, and was surprised at how kind he was 'in
real life.' He took a definite interest in what we were
about. Rob and Martin were also very kind, and Jim and
I actually got into a conversation about the Norther
Lights, and about using their music in the classroom!
It was awesome.
     In Hebrew there is a beautiful word - 'HESED' that
is used in the Bible to describe one of the attributes
of their God. It basically and inadequately translates
as "LOVINGKINDNESS", and if I could choose a single
word to 'describe the vibe' of these men, that would be
it.
     This sounds tres schmaltzy - sorry. ANyway, this
was my first Oils concert, and I can honestly say it
was the most fun I've ever had at a show I didn't get
to play at. Seriously, it was THE BEST. I hope to see
them again someday, but could now probably die a happy
man ;) To my more experienced and concert-wise veteran
fellow workers who once suggested seeing the Oils for
the first time is a bit like losing one's virginity, I
must say:

1. Did we know the same people?
2. What? When? I lost something?

At my age, sometimes it's necessary to ask.

Very best and hoarsest warm wishes,

bruce in calgary

PS Oh yeah - I caught me a drumstick too.

PSS Nice to meet ya fellow worker Jonathan. Hope you're
back on line this am.

Join the Space Program: Get FREE E-mail at http://www.space.com.