Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Rob's Drumsticks/Oils Equipment

Rhonda kayak@sympatico.ca
Tue, 14 May 2002 11:35:23 -0400

> From: "andrew pye" <apye@bigpond.com>

>  but has also at times used a set
> that look as though you are holding about 6-10 small sticks at
> once. They look like thin pieces of cane or bamboo (someone will
> have to remind me what they're called because I cant for the life
> of me think of the name at the moment!!!). But they are bound at
> the base and it is just like holding 1 stick in each hand.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but if he's using the type of
stick I'm thinking of, I believe it's called a brush.

Have to report an Oils encounter, even though it wasn't me (wah!):
I work for Sam Reid, who is the keyboardist for Glass Tiger (Canadian
80's band, and yes they're back together as of 1999), and he and singer
Alan Frew just flew out to Vancouver on Friday to meet another writer
and do some songwriting for some new Glass Tiger tunes.  Sam's not an
Oils fan per se, so he has no idea who is who.  Turns out they were
staying in the same hotel in Vancouver - Sam saw what he called a VERY
nice tour bus outside and ran into (his words) "some obviously band-type
guy with a guitar and an Australian accent", in the lobby by the
elevator, asked who he was with, & was told M.O.  Not sure if it was a
bandmember or a roadie, since he wouldn't recognize any of them.  The
next day (yesterday/Monday) we had an online chat  to update on office
stuff & he reported that he had since our last conversation on the phone
that morning ran into "different guys than before" over breakfast and at
last got me autographs on hotel stationery (was hoping for a drumstick,
but I guess Rob doesn't use them as chopsticks at breakfast....).
After I e-'ed him descriptions like "peter garrett/singer - about 7 feet
tall, bald," Sam said "definitely got him!" and "Rob Hirst, drummer,
black hair, very cute" Sam says "think I got him too, and another guitar
guy".  He says he can't read any of the signatures, so I'll be in
suspense until he gets back next weekend.

I had asked him to find out about any possible Toronto dates coming up,
and he seemed to think somebody mentioned "where they played before" The
Warehouse (??) this weekend?  I said that can't be right cuz it appears
they're going straight from Winnipeg to Clutch Cargo's in Detroit, and
then south to Indianapolis & Cincinnati.  I think there IS one empty
night somewhere in between, but if they're doing this whole thing by bus
there's no WAY they could do the mileage in time.  Flying, maybe.  I
also heard from somebody else yesterday who claims to have inside info
that they are coming to Toronto sometime in late July or early August.
Wish this was more "Concrete" info, but seems to be almost pure
speculation at the moment...sorry workers!  But they've gotta come here,
I'm absolutely drooling over the setlists that have been posted!

Sorry this was so long, hi to everybody, & back into lurk mode...
Cheers,

Rhonda