Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Thoughts on the 2nd Vancouver show

Geoffrey Holland geoff13@shaw.ca
Mon, 13 May 2002 19:20:32 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_nN1mVPg2DsmbD3ZhLn3G3w)

I won't bother with posting the set list as it's already been taken care of.
Got to the Commodore nice and early for an expected earlier door opening and ran into a member of the crew on the street who I'd chatted with back in November. He promised he'd get me backstage afterwards so life was looking good from the get go!
On to the lineup, there were only 4-5 people ahead of me and then 2 lovely young Aussie women joined the line right after me. Natalie and Jody had just arrived in Vancouver the night before from the US, they were only 2 weeks into a 7 month world journey. They had no idea that the Oils were playing, didn't think they'd be able to get tix on such short notice but had no problems with that and were quite happy to be seeing their first ever Oils show so far from home!! I convinced them to come to the front with me and we were able to secure the prime viewing positions.
Will Hoge was excellent as the opener again, he seemed a bit more angry or something and didn't spare much time for chatter...solid rocking set though.
Some notes on some of the Oils songs...
Bullroarer...nice to hear that one for sure!
Surfs Up got me to thinking that it would be really cool if they segued from that into Surfing with a Spoon...anyone else wish to hear that one live?
Mozzie March was excellent, a tad disappointed not to hear Tone Poem either night though.
Definitely the better of the 2 shows in my opinion, although it would be between a strong A and a A+...can't find much fault at all with these guys!
No Reaction...what a treat to hear this one live!! Peter was grinning like a mad fool during the entire song...not many seemed to recognize this old one but I loved it!
Redneck Wonderland absolutely kicks ass live...what a great track...definitely the loud highlight of each night.
In the Valley was another treat...just Peter with Jim on piano and Rob joining in late with vocals...one song that totally touches me....made me wonder if they played it because it was Mothers Day.

Hung around after to see about getting backstage...thought I'd push my luck and see if Natalie and Jody could get back as well, and wanted to see if the nice couple from Portland might be able to also. All went well as Bones came out to wander around and the girls immediately set on him, so we all followed him back into the room...nice to be able to chat with each member of the band for a minute or 2 and got a couple of cd covers signed. Such a top notch group of people from the top to bottom. The girls were thrilled to meet the band without a doubt...and they seemed happy to come across some Aussies as well.
They wrote this in their mailout to their familes back home.

We walk around down Vancouver sunday (Happy Mothers Day MUM) and got tickets to see Midnight Oil! Can you believe that they only played sat and sun nights. The concert was at a small venue and we were right at the front centre stage. It was awesome we were had everyone shouting out AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not only did we have the best spot in the house we got talking to a local guy from Vancouver how was a mad fan and a few of us stayed back and got to go back stage and meet the boys.WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW
They were so nice to us we had a beer with them and even got a signed drumstick. We chatted for a while they seemed glad to chat to aussies. Even got a kiss from the drummer when they left. It was a fabulous night thought in would be fun to see a Aussie band in canada but didn't expect to meet them too.

I dropped them off at their Hostel and headed home....life is good!

Geoffrey

--Boundary_(ID_nN1mVPg2DsmbD3ZhLn3G3w)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I won't bother with posting the set list as it's
already been taken care of.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Got to the Commodore nice and early for an expected
earlier door opening and ran into a member of the crew on the street who I'd
chatted with back in November. He promised he'd get me backstage afterwards so
life was looking good from the get go!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>On to the lineup, there were only 4-5 people ahead
of me and then 2 lovely young Aussie women joined the line right after me.
Natalie and Jody had just arrived in Vancouver the night before from the US,
they were only 2 weeks into a 7 month world journey. They had no idea that the
Oils were playing, didn't think they'd be able to get tix on such short notice
but had no problems with that and were quite happy to be seeing their first ever
Oils show so far from home!! I convinced them to come to the front with me and
we were able to secure the prime viewing positions.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Will Hoge was excellent as the opener again, he
seemed a bit more angry or something and didn't spare much time for
chatter...solid rocking set though.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Some notes on some of the Oils
songs...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Bullroarer...nice to hear that one for
sure!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Surfs Up got me to thinking that it would be really
cool if they segued from that into Surfing with a Spoon...anyone else wish to
hear that one live?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Mozzie March was excellent, a tad disappointed not
to hear Tone Poem either night though.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Definitely the better of the 2 shows in my opinion,
although it would be between a strong A and a A+...can't find much fault at all
with these guys!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>No Reaction...what a treat to hear this one live!!
Peter was grinning like a mad fool during the entire song...not many seemed to
recognize this old one but I loved it!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Redneck Wonderland absolutely kicks ass live...what
a great track...definitely the loud highlight of each night.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>In the Valley was another treat...just Peter with
Jim on piano and Rob joining in late with vocals...one song that totally touches
me....made me wonder if they played it because it was Mothers Day.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hung around after to see about getting
backstage...thought I'd push my luck and see if Natalie and Jody could get back
as well, and wanted to see if the nice couple from Portland might be able to
also. All went well as Bones came out to wander around and the girls immediately
set on him, so we all followed him back into the room...nice to be able to chat
with each member of the band for a minute or 2 and got a couple of cd covers
signed. Such a top notch group of people from the top to bottom. The girls were
thrilled to meet the band without a doubt...and they seemed happy to come across
some Aussies as well.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>They wrote this in their mailout to their familes
back home.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><EM>We walk around down Vancouver sunday (Happy Mothers Day MUM) and got
tickets to see<STRONG> Midnight Oil!</STRONG> Can you believe that they only
played sat and sun nights. The concert was at a small venue and we were right at
the front centre stage. It was awesome we were had everyone shouting out AUSSIE
AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</EM></DIV>
<DIV><EM>Not only did we have the best spot in the house we got talking to a
local guy from Vancouver how was a mad fan and a few of us stayed back and got
to go back stage and meet the boys.WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW</EM></DIV>
<DIV><EM>They were so nice to us we had a beer with them and even got a signed
drumstick. We chatted for a while they seemed glad to chat to aussies. Even got
a kiss from the drummer when they left. It was a fabulous night thought in would
be fun to see a Aussie band in canada but didn't expect to meet&nbsp;them
too.</EM></DIV>
<DIV><EM></EM>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I dropped them off at their Hostel and headed home....life is good!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Geoffrey</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_nN1mVPg2DsmbD3ZhLn3G3w)--