Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] I hear you say the truth must take a beating

mai kiigemagi kiigemagim@nclack.k12.or.us
Sat, 11 May 2002 10:22:40 -0800

Brian Perkins wrote:

>Highlight: U.S. Forces. Jim asked me if I felt
>like their playing this song was offensive to Americans, considering
>recent events. I replied that it certainly does not offend me!

It doesn't offend me either, nor does Short Memory, and how about My
Country? I know it's about Australia, but consider the line "the flag a
camouflage for your deceiving"-- to me this is a perfect commentary on the
U.S. government's so-called War on Terrorism. It's also just a great song,
does anyone know why they don't play it?

>Talking to Jim after the show (thanks to Erika & Brian) I blurted out"You
>guys >didn't play Beds!", he replied "and it didn't matter did it?
>We try to figure the set on what a given crowd will go for and then see
>how the evening goes"

Hmmm, how DO they figure out what a given crowd will go for? If there can
be an Oils show without Beds, can there be one without The Dead Heart,
Dreamworld or Blue Sky Mine? Not that I dislike these songs, it's just that
there's so many others I would love to hear.

Mai