Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: [powderworks]NMOC Public Citizen Press Releases

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Sat, 11 May 2002 10:30:51 -0400

--=====================_697896852==_.ALT

What worries me is that they have known for at least a decade that Yucca
Mountain has a panopoly of geological problems which make it an
inappropriate repository for containers which will be literally hot
(decaying nuclear waste gives off heat) for hundreds of thousands of
years.  If you live or have lived in the West, the concept of "geologically
stable" is quite nebulous (Will I have to wipe volcanic ash of my car
today? no? Then its a geologically stable day ...)

Of course the solution to the problems was to attack and smear/discredit
the veteran (and pro-nuke) geologist who did the assessment, not face the
issues he has raised about ground water and geologic stability in the
caverns.  Or the larger issue of why we made this toxic and radioactive
waste in the first place ... and continue to do so despite the intractable
waste problem anyone with half a working cranium could have forseen!

These are the same people who had the bright idea of clearing all the
people out a mountainous area of New Hampshire and Vermont some years ago
for either a low-level or high-level waste repository - and yes, there was
an earthquake there just a couple of weeks ago.

This Yucca Mountain thing has been going on, off and on, since my
Greenpeace days.  I can tell you a whole lot about nuclear waste and nuke
waste politics, but I will tactfully restrain myself here ... Its just that
I lived as a child in a community which would periodically shut down when
nuke shipments headed up the main highway through town to and from Hanford
... and I know the shipments would start anew were this madness to come to
fruition.  This was the shipping of waste Peter Garrett was going on
about.  This is where it travel though.

I won't forget my down winder neighbors with their neck scars ... nor those
evil gleaming giant steel casks on flatbed trucks stopping activity in town
with their grim parade or keeping us at school too long.  The Oils, as
always, rock me to the core on this one.

At 12:43 AM 5/11/02 -0400, Bawolski@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 5/10/2002 12:50:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>towns@us.ibm.com writes:
>

>>Local activists have expressed concern about the safety of transporting
>>waste as well as about the site itself.  Yucca Mountain is located 80 miles
>>northwest of Las Vegas, Nev.  It sits on an earthquake zone and lies atop a
>>fresh water aquifer that supplies local residents with drinking water.
>
>What worries me is that there are people making decisions in this country
>who think this is a good idea.  God help us.

Kate Adams
Graduate Student
Department of Work Environment
UMass Lowell
Global Free Trade: All the economic benefits of colonialism, without all
those nasty responsibilities.
*****
--=====================_697896852==_.ALT

What worries me is that they have known for at least a decade that Yucca
Mountain has a panopoly of geological problems which make it an
inappropriate repository for containers which will be literally hot
(decaying nuclear waste gives off heat) for hundreds of thousands of
years.&nbsp; If you live or have lived in the West, the concept of
&quot;geologically stable&quot; is quite nebulous (Will I have to wipe
volcanic ash of my car today? no? Then its a geologically stable day
...)<br>
Of course the solution to the problems was to attack and smear/discredit
the veteran (and pro-nuke) geologist who did the assessment, not face the
issues he has raised about ground water and geologic stability in the
caverns.&nbsp; Or the larger issue of why we made this toxic and
radioactive waste in the first place ... and continue to do so despite
the intractable waste problem anyone with half a working cranium could
have forseen!<br>
These are the same people who had the bright idea of clearing all the
people out a mountainous area of New Hampshire and Vermont some years ago
for either a low-level or high-level waste repository - and yes, there
was an earthquake there just a couple of weeks ago.<br>
This Yucca Mountain thing has been going on, off and on, since my
Greenpeace days.&nbsp; I can tell you a whole lot about nuclear waste and
nuke waste politics, but I will tactfully restrain myself here ... Its
just that I lived as a child in a community which would periodically shut
down when nuke shipments headed up the main highway through town to and
from Hanford ... and I know the shipments would start anew were this
madness to come to fruition.&nbsp; This was the shipping of waste Peter
Garrett was going on about.&nbsp; This is where it travel though.&nbsp;
I won't forget my down winder neighbors with their neck scars ... nor
those evil gleaming giant steel casks on flatbed trucks stopping activity
in town with their grim parade or keeping us at school too long.&nbsp;
The Oils, as always, rock me to the core on this one.<br>
At 12:43 AM 5/11/02 -0400, Bawolski@aol.com wrote:<br>
message dated 5/10/2002 12:50:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
towns@us.ibm.com writes:<br>
concern about the safety of transporting<br>
waste as well as about the site itself.&nbsp; Yucca Mountain is located
80 miles<br>
northwest of Las Vegas, Nev.&nbsp; It sits on an earthquake zone and lies
atop a<br>
fresh water aquifer that supplies local residents with drinking
water.<br>
What worries me is that there are people making decisions in this
country<br>
who think this is a good idea.&nbsp; God help us.<br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
*********************************************************************************<br>
Kate Adams<br>
Graduate Student<br>
Department of Work Environment<br>
UMass Lowell<br>
Global Free Trade: All the economic benefits of colonialism, without
all<br>
those nasty responsibilities.<br>