Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: SF Notes

Miron Mizrahi mironmizrahi@yahoo.com
Thu, 9 May 2002 11:52:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I wasn't as lucky as Tim Frommer. I did not get to meet any band
members. The sad truth is that I (well, actually my friend who was
driving) almost ran over Bones and Jim while pulling into the car
park behing the Warfield. They had just exited the building and were
walking towards their bus, not paying too much attention by the
looks of it. Obviously not aware of the high rate of accidents
involving pedestrians in SF. Fumbled for anything to get an
autograph on, only to find that my friend is apparently much neater
than I gave him credit for. I guess I will have to wait for the next
tour.

As far as the show goes - I have seen the Oils 9 times and this was
one of the best. I found the previous 2 (Fillmore and Santa Clara)
somehwat sub par but after seeing them 3 times in the US I am
wondering if the crowd has got something to do with it. There is no
doubt that a good, lively, active crowd can energize the performer
and I must admit that the crowds I've seen in the US were quite
subdued. In all shows I was inches from the stage, which is
something I'd be almost scared to do in Australia, as the crowd is
seriously moshing. I am not a big person and I know I'll get
squashed and pushed around and stepped on. In contrast, I felt
almost like an nuisance at the Warfield being the loudest guy in my
vicinity. So if you were behind me and I pissed you off jumping up
and down and occasionally bumping into you - my apologies. It might
be that they are more popular or well known in Oz. So, anyway, am I
imagining things or has anyone else been obeserving the same
phenomenon? Are crowds in the US generally milder than elsewhere?

Miron