Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Taste of Chicago - July 4th

John McColl johnmccoll@yahoo.com
Mon, 6 May 2002 19:19:29 -0700 (PDT)

I did get to see them in Vermont, this Taste of
Chicago is the only other date scheduled that "works"
for me. It seems that they are giving the south a miss
this time around, I would have thought a gig in New
Orleans would have been on the cards but no such luck.
I have seen the Oils in all sorts of venues, pubs,
clubs, 10000 seat entertainment centres, even under a
circus tent in 1984 on the Gold Coast in Australia,
but a club that holds about 1000 people seems to me to
be just the right size for an Oils show. Best venues I
have seen them at would be The Patch at Coolangatta,
Australia (long since bulldozed), The Areana in
Brisbane, Australia and The Fillmore in San Francisco.
I agree that an outdoors show with 100K people in
front of you is not the ideal locataion, but I'll take
it !

Does anyone know if there are more dates to be
scheduled, there doesn't seem to be any scheduled for
June, are they going home for a break ?
--- The Oilman <TheOilman@new.rr.com> wrote:
> The only info I know is the following..
>
> Every year XRT sponsors this thing and its huge,
> probably not the best place
> to see the Oils. There will be anywhere from 100,000
> to 200,000 people there
> for sure, there always is. Its all food stands/etc.
> that your basic
> festivals have only this is centered around downtown
> Chicago. The bands play
> in Grant Park at Patrillo Band Shell, they have been
> planning to replace
> this but doubt anything will be done in time for
> this 4th.
>
> For god's sakes if you have a chance to see them in
> the theaters this leg of
> the tour do so since these festival shows will not
> be anywhere near as
> enjoyable. Summerfest in Milwaukee is a much better
> bet for ya.
>
> Oilman

=====
John McColl