Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] No Photo Policy

Phil Laurie phil@itfutures.com.au
Wed, 1 May 2002 21:16:30 +1000

Jane,
to be quite honest - I think performers get a little precious over these
issues. By the time you've paid big bucks for a concert ticket, $30 (AUD)
for a CD and God knows what for some overpriced merchandise, you should be
allowed to take as many photos as you like. If one ends up on some dodgy
T-shirt - well it's all free advertising isn't it.

Just my opinion - I'm sure we could debate this topic all year.

PL

<At the Forum in Melbourne in February Peter actually went off stage mid
song
to get someone to deal with these two guys who were lifting each other up to
take photos of him and the band. He was pissed off, and rightly so.  I
totally agree with the no photo policy at gigs. I will probably get flamed
for this but when you think about it some people taking photos (not all
people) can put the image on a t-shirt or anything else for that matter and
sell it. The money doesnt go to the Oils, it lines that persons pocket and
they have done nothing, or have made any sacrifices like the Oils have to
earn that money. Granted there are people taking photos for nostalgic
reasons but you cant tell the difference, you need a blanket ban.
I am totally for photos back stage, even in the street when you have
approached the Oils and it is fine with them. Unauthorised live photos just
arent on!!.
I'll get off my soap box now.>

Jane