Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oils/INXS.

Bawolski@aol.com Bawolski@aol.com
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:39:32 EST

--part1_9d.257717fd.29d5f2c4_boundary

In a message dated 3/28/2002 10:23:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,
apye@bigpond.com writes:

> I would tend to agree with what Farris said in that the reason Midnight Oil
> have never made it over seas to the extent that INXS have is because they
> didn't work at it. But as he says, that's because they didn't really care
> about making it overseas. They have never written songs or made albums to
> be a huge international success. They have concentrated on making albums
> and writing songs they THEY want to do, about our prt of the world, and
> whether the world picks up on it or not hasn't been an issue. If they did,
> that'd be selling out and they'd end up sounding as cheesy and crappy as
> INXS! They don't make pop albums, they make rock albums of substances and
> have done the most important thing (something which pretty much every other
> successful band hasn't done) and that's maintained their credibility and
> dignity. Who cares if the masses don't get it!? But he shouldn't think the
> Oils haven't worked hard, they have of course. Just focussed their energy
> in the right direction!
>
> But the whole piece below gave me the impression that Farris has his head
> up his own arse!
>
> What value is international success if you cant keep your front man alive!?

Very well put.  It is pretty obvious that breaking big in the States (or
anywhere
else in the world) has not been a priority with Midnight Oil (I really
thought they
were on the verge with Blue Sky Mining, but it was like they backed off
because
it was something they didn't want).  I think that other activities in their
lives, as
well as writing and recording great music, have taken precedent.  For this
guy
to imply they are lazy is ludicrous.

What's really funny to me in regards to the songs they write and how they are
so wrapped up in issues dealing with Australia (and I know I'm preaching to
the
choir here) is that the themes to these songs deal with issues that are
worldwide.
When I first heard "Warakurna" for example,  I may not have known where (or
even what) it was, but when I listened to the words I'm thinking that they
could apply
to Native Americans here.  Songs about corporate greed, misuse of the
environment, human rights issues and on and on.  You get these fools who
say the Oils music is "too Australian" for people outside of Australia to
get.
I wonder if they even listen to the words.  I'll tell ya, I live in Los
Angeles and
sometimes I think I work in the blue sky mine.

Mike

--part1_9d.257717fd.29d5f2c4_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 3/28/2002 10:23:13 PM Pacific Standard Time, apye@bigpond.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I would tend to agree with what Farris said in that the reason Midnight Oil have never made it over seas to the extent that INXS have is because they didn't work at it. But as he says, that's because they didn't really care about making it overseas. They have never written songs or made albums to be a huge international success. They have concentrated on making albums and writing songs they THEY want to do, about our prt of the world, and whether the world picks up on it or not hasn't been an issue. If they did, that'd be selling out and they'd end up sounding as cheesy and crappy as INXS! They don't make pop albums, they make rock albums of substances and have done the most important thing (something which pretty much every other successful band hasn't done) and that's maintained their credibility and dignity. Who cares if the masses don't get it!? But he shouldn't think the Oils haven't worked hard, they have of course. Just focussed their energy in the right direction!</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
 <BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">But the whole piece below gave me the impression that Farris has his head up his own arse!</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
 <BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">What value is international success if you cant keep your front man alive!?</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Very well put.&nbsp; It is pretty obvious that breaking big in the States (or anywhere<BR>
else in the world) has not been a priority with Midnight Oil (I really thought they<BR>
were on the verge with Blue Sky Mining, but it was like they backed off because<BR>
it was something they didn't want).&nbsp; I think that other activities in their lives, as<BR>
well as writing and recording great music, have taken precedent.&nbsp; For this guy<BR>
to imply they are lazy is ludicrous.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
What's really funny to me in regards to the songs they write and how they are<BR>
so wrapped up in issues dealing with Australia (and I know I'm preaching to the<BR>
choir here) is that the themes to these songs deal with issues that are worldwide.<BR>
When I first heard "Warakurna" for example,&nbsp; I may not have known where (or even what) it was, but when I listened to the words I'm thinking that they could apply<BR>
to Native Americans here.&nbsp; Songs about corporate greed, misuse of the <BR>
environment, human rights issues and on and on.&nbsp; You get these fools who<BR>
say the Oils music is "too Australian" for people outside of Australia to get.<BR>
I wonder if they even listen to the words.&nbsp; I'll tell ya, I live in Los Angeles and<BR>
sometimes I think I work in the blue sky mine.<BR>
<BR>
Mike<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>