Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Impressions of Capricornia

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 22:00:20 -0500

Okay.  So I finally purchased a copy of Capricornia and test drove it last
night.  (yeah, I know it took me a while ... I feel like I got poisoned by
mother's apple pie in late February and haven't gotten out much since I got
home).  Anyway, I chose retire early to take a first listen on the
admittedly crappy boombox in my room.

I've heard a lot of talk about how much this album has in common with D&D
and BSM.  But my first feel for it had me wondering if they would reprise
When Ned Kelley Was King, or if Garrett would burst out in "If the Quinella
comes in today" in the middle of Under the Overpass.  I think this one has
some serious Postcard DNA going through it, with a few Head Injuries for
leavening.

Capricornia is, in my mind the weakest cut ... it almost sounds like the
theme to a TV historical dramady called Capricornia or something.  And it
wasn't just the crappy sound quality of the first listen ... it was just as
annoying on my living room stereo too.

That said, I like Golden Age, and really love the harmonies on Too Much
Sunshine.  Tone Poem rocks on too.  I know that Say Your Prayers isn't
really new, but I like it best of all cuts on this one ... can't keep my
rear end still when that's on.  I do wish they would showcase Bonesy's
sweet, sweet voice more often ... I loved his solo on this album and on One
Country, and I thought the interplay of Bones and Pete on Redneck
Wonderland's Return to Sender was utterly fantastic.  PG's voice can get
grating and overdriven and Bones takes the edge off it quite nicely.

I fell asleep during the second listen and soon realized that listening to
the Oils is much less about the music and lyrics at face value and more
about what the songs can evoke on a deeper, more visceral level.  Drifting
in and out I started to fade back to my childhood world in Eastern Oregon
... dusty crimson sun into gold sunsets, too many stars to pick out the
constellations, tumbleweeds, sage and juniper, and a flat, wide open barren
land that changes its clothes with the seasons, the weather, and the time
of day.  There's the comparison to Diesel and Dust!  I began to think of
taking my kids back to see the Oregon Trail remnants, the Lewis and Clark
monuments, the testaments to the Nez Pierce, Cayuse, Umatilla peoples, and
the towns that changed and the towns that didn't when I-80 came
through.  And to teach them the proper way to catch a "highway" snake, of
course.

Luritja Way in particular made me remember the first time I heard
Bullroarer.  Before the lyrics hit Bullroarer transformed me into a six
year old again, in the back of the old Ford Falcon on a family road trip,
staring at the phone poles whipping by at that same cadence as the
beat.  Fading evening light picking out details of the dusty lion's paws of
the eastern part of the Columbia River Gorge, and the temperature rapidly
falling from the blistering heat of the day to the striking chill of the
desert night on winds laden sage and juniper and the egg carton aroma of
locust trees at the edge of every town.  Then I played Bullroarer for my
brother and he said "I feel like I'm nine or ten and riding in the back of
the Falcon on our way to ...".  Both songs have that making good time on
the road in a very wide open and dusty space feeling.  I'll have to see
what my brother says about Luritja Way.

I played Capricornia again this morning on the upstairs stereo and I must
say it sounded much better that way, particularly the vocals.  But my basic
impressions didn't change.  I did find it had one more thing in common with
Diesel and Dust:  it rapidly disappeared into the playroom.  Too much Too
Much Sunshine already!  Isn't playing Tone Poem six times enough?  Let me
get the lyric sheet and I'll try to explain ...

Kate Adams
Doctoral Student
Epidemiology
Department of Work Environment
UMass Lowell
"There are a lot of people who as they get older get mellow. I don't like
mellow music. I don't like mellow. Period."  -  Moe Tucker