Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: Glitch's comments

Laura Wolfe Laura Wolfe" <casalobo@lightspeed.net
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 11:47:57 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_007D_01C1D260.935996E0

Glitch:

With all due respect (I do enjoy your posts), you need more information =
on the 1982 "massacre" in the Palestinian refugee camps.  The mere fact =
that the UN General Assembly condemned these actions by Israel's =
surrogates proves nothing, except that a majority of the nations are =
anti-Israel and/or anti-Semitic (there are more Muslim nations and =
Muslims than there are Israelis and Jews in the world).  This was not =
the first time or the last time the UN has scolded Israel.  But look at =
the source of the condemnation.  It's entirely political and thus =
objectively meaningless. =20

War is hell, and the Sabra incident was hellish and inexcusable.  But if =
those pictures disturb you, perhaps you need to look at pictures of =
Israeli citizens blown to bits or peppered with nails from a suicide =
bomb while they shopped or ate pizza with their families.  So long as =
the Palestinians engage in terrorism targeted at citizens, Israel will =
not stop its military incursions into the so-called Palestinian =
territory.  Please note that Israel always targets military and/or =
political locations and personnel, which is permissible in "war."  =
Although citizens are also killed and wounded, the numbers relatively =
small, and the point is that at least Israel doesn't intend to kill =
them, as the terrorists do Israeli citizens.  Why is it that the =
Palestinians continue to whine about Israel's violations of the Oslo =
Accord, when their terrorism is the fundamental and primary violation of =
the Accord? =20

Until they learn to negotiate in good faith, something Arafat has never =
done, and to play by the rules of western civilization, peace will not =
be achieved. =20
To support the Palestinians' actions means one is either Arab/Muslim or =
woefully misinformed.  Just as the US is entitled to respond to the =
September 11 terrorist attacks, Israel is entitled to protect itself =
from Palestinian terrorism.  For the record, I am not a total Israel =
apologist; I think they should pull out of all occupied territories and =
give the settlements (which should never have been established) to the =
Palestinians.  They need to get back onto firm moral ground in this =
dispute.  The Gallup Poll just did a survey which found that 55% of =
Americans support Israel, while only 14% support Arafat et al. (the =
other 31% presumably have no opinion or just don't care).  But Arafat's =
negative rating is 73%, the highest it has ever been.  And rightly so.=20

In closing, I agree with your comment that the reviewer of "Capricornia" =
is off-base in suggesting that the Oils should have responded to the =
September 11 attacks.  The songs were all written before then, and most =
of the album was recorded before then (they may have done a bit of work =
in November and December, probably just mixing and mastering).  A direct =
response would have been crass in any event.  It's a great album that =
makes me happy when I listen to it.  By the way, I may have access to a =
good recording of the Hollywood HOB show in the near future.  I'll let =
everyone know if and when I do, and we'll set up a tree at that time.  =
(Please do not email me expressing interest in the show, just be =
patient.)

Casalobo

The thought manifests as the word;
the word manifests as the deed;
the deed develops into the habit;
and habit hardens into character.
So watch the thought and its ways with care,=20
and let it spring from love
born out of concern for all things.
-- The Buddha

------=_NextPart_000_007D_01C1D260.935996E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Glitch:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>With all due respect (I do enjoy your =
posts), you=20
need more information on the 1982 "massacre" in the Palestinian refugee=20
camps.&nbsp; The mere fact that the UN General Assembly condemned these =
actions=20
by Israel's surrogates proves nothing, except that a majority of the =
nations are=20
anti-Israel and/or anti-Semitic (there are more Muslim nations and =
Muslims than=20
there are Israelis and Jews in the world).&nbsp; This was not the first =
time or=20
the last time the UN has scolded Israel.&nbsp; But look at the source of =
the=20
condemnation.&nbsp; It's entirely political and thus objectively=20
meaningless.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>War is hell, and the Sabra incident was =
hellish and=20
inexcusable.&nbsp; But if those pictures disturb you, perhaps you need =
to look=20
at pictures of Israeli citizens blown to bits or peppered with nails =
from a=20
suicide bomb while they shopped or ate pizza with their families.&nbsp; =
So long=20
as the Palestinians engage in terrorism targeted at <U>citizens</U>, =
Israel will=20
not stop its <U>military</U> incursions into the so-called Palestinian=20
territory.&nbsp; Please note that Israel always targets military and/or=20
political locations and personnel, which is permissible in "war."&nbsp; =
Although=20
citizens are also killed and wounded, the numbers&nbsp;relatively small, =
and the=20
point is that at least Israel doesn't intend to kill them, as the =
terrorists do=20
Israeli citizens. &nbsp;Why is it that the Palestinians continue to =
whine about=20
Israel's violations of the Oslo Accord, when their terrorism is the =
fundamental=20
and primary violation of the Accord?&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Until they learn to negotiate in good =
faith,=20
something Arafat has never done, and to play by the rules of western=20
civilization, peace will not be achieved.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To support the Palestinians' actions =
means one is=20
either Arab/Muslim or woefully misinformed.&nbsp; Just as the US is =
entitled to=20
respond to the September 11 terrorist attacks, Israel is entitled to =
protect=20
itself from Palestinian terrorism.&nbsp; For the record, I am not a =
total Israel=20
apologist; I think they should pull out of all occupied territories and =
give the=20
settlements&nbsp;(which should&nbsp;never have been established)&nbsp;to =
the=20
Palestinians.&nbsp; They need to get back onto firm moral ground in this =

dispute.&nbsp; The Gallup Poll just did a survey which found that 55% of =

Americans support Israel, while only 14% support Arafat et al. (the =
other 31%=20
presumably have no opinion or just don't care).&nbsp; But Arafat's =
negative=20
rating is 73%, the highest it has ever been.&nbsp; And rightly=20
so.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In closing, I agree with your comment =
that the=20
reviewer of "Capricornia" is off-base in suggesting that the Oils should =
have=20
responded to the September 11 attacks.&nbsp; The songs were all written =
before=20
then, and most of the album was recorded before then (they may have done =
a bit=20
of work in November and December, probably just mixing and =
mastering).&nbsp; A=20
direct response would have been crass in any event.&nbsp; It's a great =
album=20
that makes me happy when I listen to it.&nbsp; By the way, I may have =
access to=20
a good recording of the Hollywood HOB show in the near future.&nbsp; =
I'll let=20
everyone know if and when I do, and we'll set up a tree at that =
time.&nbsp;=20
(Please do not email me expressing interest in the show, just be=20
patient.)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Casalobo</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The thought manifests as the =
word;<BR>the word=20
manifests as the deed;<BR>the deed develops into the habit;<BR>and habit =
hardens=20
into character.<BR>So watch the thought and its ways with care, <BR>and =
let it=20
spring from love<BR>born out of concern for all things.<BR>-- The=20
Buddha<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_007D_01C1D260.935996E0--