Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Rabbit Proof Fence

Megan Fitzgerald heymegsy@hotmail.com
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:53:16 +1100

Its not golf or entirely oil related but definetly worth a mention...

I went and saw this movie this afternoon and it was one of the most amazing
movies I have ever seen.  It looks at the stolen generation and one true
story about three young aboriginal girls taken from their mothers and forced
to adopt a 'white'culture.  They escape and begin to follow this rabbit
proof fence.  The fence was built in 1901 to keep rabbits away from farms
(they cause mass destruction to crops and land)and it still exists- one of
the longest in the world.  The fence leads them home, more than 1500 miles
away.

This is an extremely well shot film, shows the harsh Australian landscape
and gives you a small idea how it would feel to be subjected to open fields,
deserts and extreme temperatures like these little girls.  Great sounds,
angles, wildlife and colours.  I walked away with great gibber plain in my
head and very pissed off with how people in the past have behaved.

Deborah Mailman (Secret life) and Gary McDonald (and a very bad moustache)
make appearances in the film.

If your interested in seeing a film that captures some of what the Oils sing
about, see the film, you should enjoy it.

www.rabbitprooffence.com.au

Megs