Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Golf?

Kathryn E. Adams kate@dnki.net
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:04:55 -0500

Uggh.  I'm tempted to just cover my eyes and scroll down to the next
message.  Golf!

Then again, I don't think I've ever met an Aussie who doesn't golf.

I'm a little disillusioned from the human rights standpoint as well as the
environmental damage angle.  In developing nations, small farmers are
forcibly run off their lands with little or no compensation to build golf
courses that feed no one.  Then their daughters are essentially
economically enslaved as "caddies", who not only cart the bags, but are
obliged to end each round with a hole in one, as it were.

Read more about it:  the Global Anti-Golf Movement website:
http://utenti.tripod.it/dossierisarenas/golf.htm

Kate

Kate Adams
Graduate Student
Department of Work Environment
UMass Lowell
Global Free Trade: All the economic benefits of colonialism, without all
those nasty responsibilities.
*****