Midnight Oil

SV: [Powderworks] Another Capricornia opinion

Bjorn Blomquist bjorn.blomquist@mbox301.swipnet.se
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 22:00:17 +0100

> Anyway I really  like the sound on the album, easily the best the Oils have ever done in my
> opinion.

I agree. No previous Oils album *sounds* this great. I now think that 'E&S&M' has a great sound too, but in the beginning I couldn't stand it. I thought it sounded "flat" and lifeless. The drums sound much better on 'Capricornia' anyway.

> Capricornia and  Mosquito March are all good  Been Away Too Long or World
> That I See do not sound as good as the other songs, but I think World That
> I See needs to grow on me first.. I hated it at first but not any longer.

I don't hate any song, but the least good is "Been away too long". I actually think "World that I see" has a great and catchy chorus, even though it's simple. And the guitar figure is not far away from "Forgotten years" and "King of the mountain".

> I can't say I like Under the Overpass or Poets & Slaves.. especially
> Overpass is really tedious and I end up skipping to the next song since it
> takes too long to start. And I can't stand the chorus.

Actually I must say that "Under the overpass" has replaced "Mosquito march" as my second least favourite song. I like how it starts, but where it goes on from where the organ comes in it's not a very good song. I guess you mean that the chorus is too much "Hallelujah"...

"Poets & Slaves" is an interesting song though, in my opinion.

I don't skip any song when I listen to this album (or any album for that matter, unless it's an old one which I've grown tired of and I only want to hear a few songs from it - or if I buy an album on which I've already heard some of the songs many times before, then I prefer to listen to just the "new" ones). An album is meant to hear from start to finish!

But overall I think
> the album is excellent - quite a welcome change after the previous full
> studio album. Wouldn't mind if it was a bit longer though, if I skip
> Overpass it only leaves about 35 minutes.

That's right. It's short. E&S&M was about 54 minutes for 11 tracks, Capricornia is only 41 minutes.

> There's this one thing again - I don't know if the album has a "hit song"
> that the band might need overseas. Maybe Too Much Sunshine?

No "hit" I'm afraid, but "Sunshine" could work quite well on the radio, as well as "Golden age". Or what about "World that I see"? ;-)

Maybe one should send the "Golden age" promo single to the radio and have them play it?

/Bjorn