Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Any UK reports ?

djboyle@mistral.co.uk djboyle@mistral.co.uk
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 13:16:39 GMT

This seems like a good time to break out of lurk mode and contribute to the
list.

The Fierce Festival was the first time that I've managed to see the Oils, and
whilst I'd prefer to see them in a small venue at a dedicated concert, the
festival wasn't a bad way to start. The crowd was predominantly Australian and
gave all the Aussie band a good welcome. Spiderbait and Regurgitator went down
well, I didn't really see any of the other Aussie bands. Non Oils highlights
for me were Drum Drum, and the London Maori Group.

As for the Oils, well, they were just superb. A lot of the crowd didn't appear
to be big Oils fans, but the boys soon had them eating out of the palm of
their hands. From the opening cow sounds and Advance Australia Fair through to
the close the place rocked. Predictably, Dead Heart and Short Memory got the
biggest cheers, less predictably they didn't play Beds (much to the
disappointment of my wife - a non Oils fan who says it's one of the few tracks
that she really knows!) Due to local council curfews, the set was far shorter
than I'd have liked, but hopefully it's just a taster for a full show later in
the year.

Set list (as best I can remember):

Advance Australia Fair (instrumental)
Redneck Wonderland