Midnight Oil

FW: [Powderworks] Rights in the Workplace

Glitch sena.reisenweaver@verizon.net
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:14:07 -0400

John Welk wrote:

>The first amendment prohibits the government from supressing speech -- it does
not extend such protection to individuals or organizations.

>I don't condone Lina's company's policy -- not in the least -- but what they
did is perfectly legal in the U.S.  Just a week or two ago a federal appeals
court upheld the right of a Florida company to dismiss an employee involved in
political protests that were contrary to the company's positions.  The basic
thrust of the ruling (from my reading) was that employment was not a right, and
that the company should not be forced to employ someone acting against what the
company believed to be in its best interests.
---

Totally true.  The company I work for has been plastered with American flags
since 9/11 and - most recently - an "intact" copy of the Pledge of
Allegiance - and I am VERY sure that if my true anarchist feelings were ever
expressed I would find my ass on the street very fast.  The good old boy
network I work for has no obligation to employ anarchists.  I keep my head
down, shut up, and wear long sleeves so my tattoo doesnąt show.
Sucks, but it's true.

--Glitch
"There are trivial truths and great truths.
The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false.
The opposite of a great truth is also true."
                     --Niels Bohr