Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Milwaukee Show

Analyzr analyzr@tds.net
Sun, 07 Jul 2002 15:53:46 -0500

--------------1E9CC83EBBA9769F7DA502F8

There was a reference in another post that this was a "short" show
compared to others.  Since I didn't see the play list from the Chicago
show or other shows, does "short" mean number of songs and/or length of
show??  I know they were on for over 1 1/2 hours last night.  How does
that compare to other shows?

The last half of the show felt like a cross between a heavy metal and
punk rock performance - pretty intense compared to the other half dozen
times I've seen them.  Some back stage guy told me they decided to keep
playing because they were on a roll (don't know if this is accurate or
not).  Have there been any other shows with only 1 or 2 encore songs?

The show was great.  I'll take a repeat performance in Madison Thursday.

StochasticGirl@aol.com wrote:

> [...]
> Redneck Wonderland
> Beds Are Burning
> Dreamworld
>
> Encore:
> Read About It (that was it, only one song!)
>
> ***********
> I got to Summerfest about 7:50 pm.  I had expected to get there
> earlier so I was starting to get anxious on the bus ride over to the
> grounds.  I made my way over to the Potowatomi Stage and it was
> already pretty packed!  I've never been to a music festival this big
> so I didn't really know what to do.  I was sure that Indi and Todd the
> Oilman would be at the concert but I didn't see anyone in the front
> row.  I finally found a seat in the second row and parked my butt
> there for two hours.  (Going alone to a open-seating concert makes it
> really tough to decide whether to go to the bathroom or lose your
> seat!)
>
> I was really confused for a long time because people just sat through
> the 8 o'clock act.  Were we expected to SIT for an Oils show?!?  But
> as soon as the Chesterfields vacated the stage, people started to
> stand up and crowd around the stage.  Finally, I saw Indi making his
> way through the crowd and Todd a few rows back.
>
> Right around 10 o'clock, the Oils came out!
>
> Here's the fashion report for C-ko (since she couldn't make it) and
> any other interested parties:  Nothing too interesting this time
> around...
> Jim, sporting a full thick beard, wore dark shirts and dark pants.
> Bones:  Dark shirt, zippered cargo pants (the kind that zip off into
> shorts)
> Rob: his usual sleeveless red t-shirt (guess he needs room to flail
> his arms about)
> Martin:  wore a dark shirt over a T-shirt saying "Nuclear Waste Can
> Kill"
> Peter:  red shirt with a nuclear waste logo, changed into an Amnesty
> Intl shirt for encore.
>
> The beginning of the show lacked that powerful energy I've come to
> expect of them.  They were good, just not pumping with excitement.  It
> could have been my spot in the crowd too - even though I was in the
> second row, I was surrounded on three sides by people so stiff you
> wondered why they were even up in front.
>
> But with King of the Mountain, the guys really turned things up and
> rocked.  They kept throwing out these pounding songs - I could hardly
> keep my breath with all the jumping and dancing.  The River Runs Red -
> Only the Strong montage was awesome and a nice surprise too.
>
> I managed to persuade a security guy to give me a set list.  Boy,
> there were some guys miffed about that!
>
> I'll be at the Madison show on Thursday, probably pretty early to get
> up in front.  Young skinny asian girl looking really happy.
>
> See you there!
> Judy

--------------1E9CC83EBBA9769F7DA502F8

There was a reference in another post that this was a "short" show compared
to others.&nbsp; Since I didn't see the play list from the Chicago show
or other shows, does "short" mean number of songs and/or length of show??&nbsp;
I know they were on for over 1 1/2 hours last night.&nbsp; How does that
compare to other shows?
punk rock performance - pretty intense compared to the other half dozen
times I've seen them.&nbsp; Some back stage guy told me they decided to
keep playing because they were on a roll (don't know if this is accurate
or not).&nbsp; Have there been any other shows with only 1 or 2 encore
songs?
Thursday.
back sore and bruised from Summerfest last night, but all that stuff is
well worth it to see the Oils.</font></font>
to Only The Strong</font></font>
it, only one song!)</font></font>
7:50 pm.&nbsp; I had expected to get there earlier so I was starting to
get anxious on the bus ride over to the grounds.&nbsp; I made my way over
to the Potowatomi Stage and it was already pretty packed!&nbsp; I've never
been to a music festival this big so I didn't really know what to do.&nbsp;
I was sure that Indi and Todd the Oilman would be at the concert but I
didn't see anyone in the front row.&nbsp; I finally found a seat in the
second row and parked my butt there for two hours.&nbsp; (Going alone to
a open-seating concert makes it really tough to decide whether to go to
the bathroom or lose your seat!)</font></font>
a long time because people just sat through the 8 o'clock act.&nbsp; Were
we expected to SIT for an Oils show?!?&nbsp; But as soon as the Chesterfields
vacated the stage, people started to stand up and crowd around the stage.&nbsp;
Finally, I saw Indi making his way through the crowd and Todd a few rows
back.</font></font>
the Oils came out!</font></font>
for C-ko (since she couldn't make it) and any other interested parties:&nbsp;
Nothing too interesting this time around...</font></font>
beard, wore dark shirts and dark pants.</font></font>
zippered cargo pants (the kind that zip off into shorts)</font></font>
red t-shirt (guess he needs room to flail his arms about)</font></font>
shirt over a T-shirt saying "Nuclear Waste Can Kill"</font></font>
a nuclear waste logo, changed into an Amnesty Intl shirt for encore.</font></font>
lacked that powerful energy I've come to expect of them.&nbsp; They were
good, just not pumping with excitement.&nbsp; It could have been my spot
in the crowd too - even though I was in the second row, I was surrounded
on three sides by people so stiff you wondered why they were even up in
front.</font></font>
the guys really turned things up and rocked.&nbsp; They kept throwing out
these pounding songs - I could hardly keep my breath with all the jumping
and dancing.&nbsp; The River Runs Red - Only the Strong montage was awesome
and a nice surprise too.</font></font>
guy to give me a set list.&nbsp; Boy, there were some guys miffed about
that!</font></font>
on Thursday, probably pretty early to get up in front.&nbsp; Young skinny
asian girl looking really happy.</font></font>

--------------1E9CC83EBBA9769F7DA502F8--