Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oils In Chicago July 4th

Cynthia Kalisz ckarat@hotmail.com
Sat, 06 Jul 2002 12:04:41 -0500

I had so much fun - fun show, great performance.  Lots of great harmonizing,
often 4-part.  Was I delerious with heatstroke or did Martin sing a few
words with Bones on one song?  I don't remember which song.  I'll blame that
on the high heat and humidity, but at least it wasn't raining.  I got there
about noon.  Maybe 20 people in front of me.  I got to hear half-hour sound
check.   Four songs, I remember Lucky Country and Warakurna and opening to
Redneck several times.  The line dwindled - people with extra tickets were
giving them away to those at the head of the line.  The sponsors had been
giving away tickets - just meant you got in the seating area between 1:30 -
2:30.  Then the line for those without tix would be let in.  About 2PM I was
the first in line and got a ticket.  Pavilion pretty full at the front, but
I walked around asking for a seat. A guy saving 2 seats for himself offered
me a seat - 3rd row and right of middle section.  It was quite excellent.  I
was really close!!!  I was so lucky!!!  And the 3 guys in that row were very
nice.  They had backstage wristbands and where supposed to get a pic taken
with the band right after the show.  So they left before the encore to make
sure they were at the appointed place at the appointed time. I hope it
worked out for them - they were very excited about it.  A few Oils fans from
St. Louis behind us and at least 4 more from parts unknown in the row in
front of us. I think some of the band members got a kick out of us dancing
around and singing along???

Bones was sitting off to the left side of the stage for quite a while
watching all the people come in.

Peter was playful.  At one point he plucked a large pink bloom from the
flower box at front of the stage and put it behind his right ear.  The
petals began to fall off and he laughed and shrugged his shoulders.  He did
go into a lengthy speech about the transport and dumping of nuclear waste
and specifically in our area. At one point I believe he said God Damn.  I
wonder if that was broadcast or if the station was in commercial mode.  I
don't think they broadcast with a few seconds delay so it couldn't have been
bleeped. It was unbelievable when he jumped off stage, put his fingers to
his lips ssshhhing us, ran all the way back to the sound booth and climbed
on top.  What a sight, with that long sleeve red shirt, arms waving
frantically.  I didn't hear about the first third of The Dead Heart, but
then the sound kicked in.  Most of the crowd stood on their chairs and had
their backs to the band.  I kept looking back at the band - steadfastly
playing on, but chuckling a bit.

Truganini (my fav) was the best I ever heard.  We got Put Down That Weapon
and Lucky Country - more treats from the Capricornia tours.  Seemed a very
high level of concentration from all the guys, but entire band seemed to be
having fun. Lots of interaction and smiles amongst themselves. Tons of
smiles for the audience, especially from Rob.  Got three or so of those
forward hops from Jim, numerous smiles and waves to the audience as he left
stage after set and encore.  Martin, what can I say, he was on fire the
entire show - totally awesome performance IMHO.

After the show I waited where the performers come out to the buses and where
they can come up the stairs to chat and sign stuff. Unfortunately most of
the space was taken up by the mobile sound truck.  There was a small group
with backstage wristbands actually in the outside VIP area down below.  They
surrounded the band pretty much when they came out. Peter seemed to be
getting the most attention.  Probably because he was interacting the most
with the small crowd. He was in a great mood.  I didn't see any autographs
being signed buy anyone, but I could be wrong. I'm sure they were exhausted
from the heat and show and an hour of meet and greet downstairs in the
Pavilion. Bones did came up the stairs to sign a photo.  A guy was with his
little boy and the pic was a beautiful color 8x10 he had taken of Bones and
the boy standing in front of Bones.  Then the little boy was waving a
drumstick and Rob came over to sign the drumstick.  Nice gestures.  But then
they took off quickly to get in the van. Oh, I went up front at the show and
took 3 photos with flash.  I hope I didn't annoy them, ooohhh.  The Pavilion
overhang made it shady so I thought I needed the flash.

Everyone enjoy the rest of the shows.
Cynthia