Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Age has not wearied them: THE OILS' power & passion remain intact .

Julian Shaw julian@monkeyfamily.freeserve.co.uk
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:57:21 -0000

Good review for the new album. I agree that the Oils should never have
bothered with 20k watt RSL and the live disc, great as it was, seemed like a
bit of a filler.That said why does the reviewer skip over Redneck
Wonderland? This is the most relevant, fresh and ultimately awesome album
the Oils have ever done. Angry, loud and great tunes! This was the start of
the Oils revival! The years in the wilderness were surely 1994-1998. Nothing
much happened. ESM was a very special album but every live set I've heard
from this period just about plays the whole album through, missing out any
heavier songs. The band toured on this then took some time off for a year.
Came up with Breathe and it was a great album but should have been made by
Crowded House instead. And then the filler album came next in 1997. Then out
of nowhere we have this wonderful explosion of creativity in 1998! And whats
more the three new (Oils written) tracks on the Real Thing album are
brilliant too! Surely now is the time for The Oils to conquer the world.

Anyway that's how I see it...

Julian Lewis Shaw
Man, Myth or Monkey? Find out:
http://www.jlshaw.co.uk