Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Early demo?

Jussi Korhonen jussihk@kolumbus.fi
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 02:29:15 +0200

On Friday 22 February 2002 02:23, Michael wrote:

> There's no 'degrees' of illegitimacy when it comes to bootlegging.

Actually I think there actually are 'degrees'. There is a difference to
circulating material that a band doesn't want to have publicly available
(such as the demos) and material such as live tapings that they don't seem to
care about. A live tape is material that a band wanted people to hear since
they performed the songs in public in front of an audience. Some stolen demo
tapes isn't something like that. Although I'm tempted to hear the demos, I
have no obsession to own every single piece of Oils music in existence so I
can live without them and not lose my sleep. In fact I'm going to sleep right
after I've written this. Anyway, now anyone who wants the demos is able to
get them without too much trouble, so whatever Midnight Oil thinks about the
material doesn't change anything. But since it seems pretty obvious now that
they don't like the idea of people getting the demos, I don't think they
should be distributed. If it offends someone's idea of freedom of speech or
something equally silly as that, who cares? In any case I appreciate that
Maurice made the demos available to other powderworkers.

Certainly if you look at it from a legal point of view then I'm sure it's all
technically illegal. But I quite prefer the idea of sharing music files
across the internet over to buying bootleg albums at Ebay for $50. The
sharing option doesn't include financial issues. Of course, someone could
make a live disc out of some shared files and then sell it - but then again
if someone wants to buy that sort of stuff, that's just unfortunate.

Having the Ghostwriters albums on the FTP site pretty much falls in the music
piracy category, on the other hand.

Jussi