Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Superbowl

Jeff Emidy balki@webgather.com
Tue, 05 Feb 2002 23:34:10 -0500

Sorry to bore all of the non-US workers with the following, but I must
weigh in on this one:

   If the Superbowl had completely ignored the events of September 11,
would there have been endless bitching? Yes. By "posturing", etc, has it
prompted complaints from folks? Yup. You can't please all of the people
all of the time.

   All of the military-centered stuff that we saw at the Superbowl
affected me less than seeing countless musicians, politicians, and
businesses visiting the site, telling us how sorry they are, and making
up songs and speeches. That stuff just made me bitter.
   Could Neil Young's "Let's Roll" be any worse?
   How about George Bush using the "Let's Roll" quote in his State of
the Union speech? That was god awful.

   The most important expressions that I have experienced as a result of
the event were those from people in Sydney (where I was on holiday at
the time) expressing their grief to me. These were random people whom I
had never met, and who knew only that I lived in a country in which a
terrible tradegy had occurred, sharing with me that they felt pain as a
result, and expressing their best wishes for me and the people of our
country.
  Politicians are supposed to react in the interest of the country. It's
good for businesses to seem like they care. It makes financial sense for
a musician to latch onto an emotionel event like this. People on the
streets of a foreign country, half a world away from the event, who take
the time to share their thoughts and concerns, are really sharing, and
are reaching us on a personal level that shows that there is, indeed,
unity across political and cultural lines.

  Thanks to those who said something.

  (and particularly to the worker who offerred to help me if I needed it
, she's a gem)

  -Balki
    US Citizen
    Space Ranger First Class
    Patriots Fan

PS:  The Brittney commercial was lousy. Terry and Sir Paul were an
embarrasment.  U2 were excellent. The clydesdales were too over the top,
but at least they didn't cry.  MLife is a mystery, and one I still don't
care about.