Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Blessings of the Season

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 22:27:12 -0500

Dear Powderworkers,

As the sun pushes Christmas Day across the world and the small ones in my
house await their sugarplum oblivion, I would like to extend my fondest
wishes to all of you.

For those of you who celebrate Christmas, may all the blessings of the
season be yours and the peace of this holy day grace your lives.

For those who do not observe Christmas in their traditions, I wish all the
best to you as well.  May you be able to enjoy a day free from toil and
filled with the pursuits of life and the company of family and friends.

And may we all take a moment to ponder the origins of our year-end
celebrations: the solstice itself and the cyclical maneuvers of our Earth
which produce our seasons and the waxing and waning of the light.

In the Northern Hemisphere, consider our traditions of visiting neighbors,
friends, and family at this darkest time, when light falters and is reborn
in ever lengthening days.  Breathe deep the cool air of winter and meditate
upon the crystalline stillness of nature's senescence as the longest night
gives way to the newest year.

In the Southern Hemisphere, take a moment to savor the warmth of the sun at
full summer, and the light which brings forth life in full flower and
fruit, filling gardens and tables with bountiful splendor.

The earth blesses us all, in darkness and light.  As we celebrate so should
we remember the delicate dance of light, moisture, gas, and rock which
sustains us.

Merry Christmas, Joyous Solstice, and Happy New Year to all!

Love,
Kate

Kate Adams
Gradual Student