Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: unsupportive article in the Australian

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:17:08 -0500 (EST)

--0-1928534548-1039735028=:18199

And all the converted said "amen." Thanks for taking the time to respond to that acrid piece - it was an uncalled for and mean spirited affront. You said what needed saying in just the right tone. Peter's life speaks for itself, as does the music of the Oils as a body. You know, I keep hearing Roger Daltry asking of this Tim Blair cat: "WHO THE %#@! ARE YOU?" I'm glad you wrote the response, and not me!
bruce in calgary
 GrnVillageGirl@aol.com wrote:Well, it's not the most powerful prose I've ever written, but I couldn't take this lying down.
I do know that Peter stirs up a lot of controversy and dislike - just for sticking his neck out. And I'm sure the unconverted could and do consider him preachy and self-righteous. But the hell with them!
This is what I wrote in the comment box provided:

Not only is Tim Blair unnecessarily nasty, he's wrong on several counts. A) The Oils have a female fan base - I know, I'm one of them - and I've seen plenty of evolved, non-bloke-ish women at their shows. B) Australia's Spinal Tap? Not bloody likely. I've worked with both groups, believe it or not, and Midnight Oil is a far cry from a bunch of actors pretending to be drug-addled cock-rockers. As far as being on a major record label: those were the days before downloads were available on the Internet. Oh, but then a person would have to use electricity, possibly derived from some other unsavory source. The Oils live in the same world the rest of us do - they've just tried to make it a better one. What can Tim Blair say for himself along these lines?

--0-1928534548-1039735028=:18199

<P>And all the converted said "amen." Thanks for taking the time to respond to that acrid piece - it was an uncalled for and mean spirited affront. You said what needed saying in just the right tone. Peter's life speaks for itself, as does the music of the Oils as a body. You know, I keep hearing Roger Daltry asking of this Tim Blair cat: "WHO THE %#@! ARE YOU?" I'm glad you wrote the response, and not me!
<P>bruce in calgary