Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Sony boss talks about the departure of PG

Magnus Holmgren oznut@swipnet.se
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 1:42:01 +0100

http://www.undercover.com.au/20021203_midnightoil2.html

The departure of Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil and the question mark now surrounding the future of the band has surprised everyone including Sony boss Denis Handlin.

In a statement to media Denis says "Peter rang and spoke to me about his departure from Midnight Oil and I respect his decision. Nevertheless, it's a monumental moment for the band, Sony Music and the Australian music fans both here and overseas.

Peter's departure to pursue other challenges is understandable but, nevertheless, marks the conclusion to a remarkable Australian music story. Midnight Oil and Sony Music have had an incredible 22 year relationship, which has seen the release of an amazing array of pure Australian rock. The band's recordings have not only been popular, here and overseas, but have also contributed to the cultural and social make-up of the country.

Midnight Oil's records will of course live on forever.

I'm sure we will all watch and listen carefully to what Peter has to say in his new endeavours and equally we look forward to hearing the music Jim, Rob, Martin and Bones plan to make further down the track."

Garrett announced his departure from the band to fans via midnightoil.com this morning. Publicist Paula 'Jonesy' Jones tells Undercover News that it is the final word from the band and that there will be no more announcements.

Jonesy could also not confirm if the recent Australia tour was the bands last or if there would be a farewell tour down the track. "At this stage all you can go by is the statement on the website" she says. "I don't know".

Midnight Oil's last show was November 21 at Twin Towns ex-Servos at Tweed Heads in Northern New South Wales.

By Paul Cashmere

WebMail från Tele2 http://www.tele2.se