Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Memories Like the Corner of my Mind

Sue Gardiner SueG4@bigpond.com
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:39:46 +1000

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C29BDD.AA1E8600

I've been mostly a lurker at this forum, only occasionally making =
contributions over the last several years.

But this latest development has smoked me out of my hidey hole to share =
some of my most treasured memories with our less fortunate overseas =
friends.=20

I feel incredibly lucky to have been to literally dozens of concerts =
since I started following the band in the late 80s.=20

My first gig was at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre in 1990 and I've =
been to atleast three gigs of every tour ever since: travelling to =
Lismore, Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Rockhampton, =
Gladstone and Sydney.

The following is a list of my most memorable Midnight Oil moments:=20

* Being forced to look away in embaressment after I spied Pete Garrett =
changing his trousers half on stage with blue underwear on show in the =
middle of a gig. (Why he didn't go backstage I don't know.) The other =
band members trying to control their laughter at the sight as they =
thrashed away.

* Being dragged up on stage by Peter, much to my embarassment, to spin =
the chocolate wheel. The big man introducing me to the crowd as ``this =
nice lady's going to spin the wheel''.=20

* Witnessing two roadies nearly come to blows after a support act left =
the stage

* Those countless moments of wild abandonment during live shows when the =
music just carried you away=20

* Bones, picking me out of the crowd for some reason, to lean over and =
personally hand me one of Rob's drum sticks

* Having the foresight to schedule a week's holiday so I could attend =
what would be the last two ever Oils gigs at Twin Towns=20

* The ominous feeling I left with after those two concerts suspecting =
something was afoot. The bow, the gift to the roadie who'd been with the =
band for ten years, the setlists, the cancelled overseas tour...

* Biggest regret: Losing my ticket butt from that final gig

As soon as I send this message I'll probably think of heaps more but =
those are the ones that most readily spring to mind.

I just hope journalists will do a more comprehensive job in the weekend =
newspapers or the music press pointing out what a seismic shift in =
Australia's cultural life Peter's resignation is.

The Oils are the last of those major pub bands who helped influence our =
society at a time when the nation was finding itself, a time when going =
out to a band on a Friday night was THE thing to do.=20

I'm crushed that its all over because at 32 years of age its the end of =
an era in my life as well.=20

In fact, next time I see Rob Hirst around Byron (where he and I have a =
holiday home) well I'll, I'll ..... well, I'll probably just keep =
walking as I always have with a big grin on my face, content in the =
knowledge that the country I love can produce people of such talent and =
passion.

Thank you Oils and goodnight

Sue=20

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C29BDD.AA1E8600

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D2>
<P>I&#8217;ve been mostly a lurker at this forum, only occasionally =
making=20
contributions over the last several years.</P>
<P>But this latest development has smoked me out of my hidey hole to =
share some=20
of my most treasured memories with our less fortunate overseas friends. =
</P>
<P>I feel incredibly lucky to have been to literally dozens of concerts =
since I=20
started following the band in the late 80s. </P>
<P>My first gig was at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre in 1990 and =
I&#8217;ve been=20
to atleast three gigs of every tour ever since: travelling to Lismore, =
Brisbane,=20
the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Rockhampton, Gladstone and Sydney.</P>
<P>The following is a list of my most memorable Midnight Oil moments: =
</P>
<P>* Being forced to look away in embaressment after I spied Pete =
Garrett=20
changing his trousers half on stage with blue underwear on show in the =
middle of=20
a gig. (Why he didn&#8217;t go backstage I don&#8217;t know.) The other =
band members trying=20
to control their laughter at the sight as they thrashed away.</P>
<P>* Being dragged up on stage by Peter, much to my embarassment, to =
spin the=20
chocolate wheel. The big man introducing me to the crowd as ``this nice =
lady&#8217;s=20
going to spin the wheel&#8217;&#8217;. </P>
<P>* Witnessing two roadies nearly come to blows after a support act =
left the=20
stage</P>
<P>* Those countless moments of wild abandonment during live shows when =
the=20
music just carried you away </P>
<P>* Bones, picking me out of the crowd for some reason, to lean over =
and=20
personally hand me one of Rob&#8217;s drum sticks</P>
<P>* Having the foresight to schedule a week&#8217;s holiday so I could =
attend what=20
would be the last two ever Oils gigs at Twin Towns </P>
<P>* The ominous feeling I left with after those two concerts suspecting =

something was afoot. The bow, the gift to the roadie who&#8217;d been =
with the band=20
for ten years, the setlists, the cancelled overseas tour...</P>
<P>* Biggest regret: Losing my ticket butt from that final gig</P>
<P>As soon as I send this message I&#8217;ll probably think of heaps =
more but those=20
are the ones that most readily spring to mind.</P>
<P>I just hope journalists will do a more comprehensive job in the =
weekend=20
newspapers or the music press pointing out what a seismic shift in =
Australia&#8217;s=20
cultural life Peter&#8217;s resignation is.</P>
<P>The Oils are the last of those major pub bands who helped influence=20
our&nbsp;society at a time when the nation was finding itself, a time =
when going=20
out to a band on a Friday night was THE thing to do. </P>
<P>I&#8217;m crushed that its all over because at 32 years of age its =
the end of an=20
era in my life as well. </P>
<P>In fact, next time I see Rob Hirst around Byron (where he and I have =
a=20
holiday home) well I&#8217;ll, I&#8217;ll ..... well, I&#8217;ll =
probably just keep walking as I=20
always have with a big grin on my face, content in the knowledge that =
the=20
country I love can produce people of such talent and passion.</P>
<P>Thank you Oils and goodnight</P>
<P>Sue </P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C29BDD.AA1E8600--