Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Pete's Departure

Kate Parker Adams kate@dnki.net
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:01:33 -0500

I can't say that I'm as shocked and saddened by this as I am over other sad
news of the day, but I am saddened nonetheless.

I can't really say that I am shocked.

It has been clear for decades that there is one Peter Garrett and about
three lifetimes worth of things he wants to do.  The band waited while he
ran for parliament.  His international Greenpeace work was eventually iced
in the interests of the band and family.  Pete's own sanity seemed to be of
little relevance to him at times.

Now that he is nearing 50, he may have simply decided that he has had
enough of touring and performing and has the clout in other areas to pursue
other things.

While "Midnight Oil" as we know it is at an end, I'm sure there will
continue to be music worth listening to spinning forth from the remaining
four and it may be worth watching live.  Meanwhile, we all have our
beautiful memories to treasure and savor.  All good things must come to an end.