Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Music and patriotism

Bawolski@aol.com Bawolski@aol.com
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 01:38:01 EDT

--part1_115.15c69531.2a8c9839_boundary

In a message dated 8/14/2002 11:12:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
nearhoofmay@earthlink.net writes:

> I've tried to think before about American musicians/bands that have a
> similar connection with the US and for some reason I have trouble.  Bruce
> Springsteen comes to mind, not just for "Born in the USA" (one of the few
> Springsteen songs I really don't like) but for a lot of his other music
> that
> takes blue collar life and issues in the US seriously.  And we have lots of
> overtly 'patriotic' country music (but that's another beast all together).

I can't quite tell from this if you are misreading Bruce's "Born In the USA."
A lot of people thought he was being patriotic in this song, but it is
actually
about a Vietnam vet and the alienation he feels upon his return to the U. S.
Bruce's new CD The Rising, by the way, deals extensively with the September
11
tragedies, and the tone of the songs aren't what I'd call patriotic but do
try
to help and uplift people to "rise up" and move on in their lives.

Mike

Bawolski@aol.com

--part1_115.15c69531.2a8c9839_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 8/14/2002 11:12:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time, nearhoofmay@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I've tried to think before about American musicians/bands that have a<BR>
similar connection with the US and for some reason I have trouble.&nbsp; Bruce<BR>
Springsteen comes to mind, not just for "Born in the USA" (one of the few<BR>
Springsteen songs I really don't like) but for a lot of his other music that<BR>
takes blue collar life and issues in the US seriously.&nbsp; And we have lots of<BR>
overtly 'patriotic' country music (but that's another beast all together).<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
I can't quite tell from this if you are misreading Bruce's "Born In the USA."<BR>
A lot of people thought he was being patriotic in this song, but it is actually<BR>
about a Vietnam vet and the alienation he feels upon his return to the U. S.<BR>
Bruce's new CD The Rising, by the way, deals extensively with the September 11<BR>
tragedies, and the tone of the songs aren't what I'd call patriotic but do try<BR>
to help and uplift people to "rise up" and move on in their lives.<BR>
<BR>
Mike<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#0000ff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=4 FAMILY="SCRIPT" FACE="Lucida Handwriting" LANG="0"><B>Bawolski@aol.com</B></FONT></HTML>

--part1_115.15c69531.2a8c9839_boundary--