Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] FTP site

redzed84 redzed84@yahoo.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:38:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks

Maybe there is a computer guru who can answer this?

I have an odd problem with downloading files from the
server - I'm using Fetch/Mac - & I can't play any
mp3's. The weird thing is that they show up with a
QuickTime icon, but they won't open in QuickTime Pro.
My decoder gives an error that they are not valid mpeg
files. QuickTime 6 is supposed to be backwards
compatible with mpeg1-4. But wait! It gets weirder. If
I download files using WS_FTP/PC & transfer them to my
Mac via zip disc, they play just fine. And it doesn't
matter which mp3 it is either - I can't imagine that
every mp3 on the server was encoded using the same
program. Some of the files have a lightning-bolt icon
but I don't know which program it represents.
Any ideas?

Barbara

(PS never had this happen using Macster or Limewire -
maybe the problem is in the ftp program?)