Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Hiroshima/Dubya's "war on terra"

Craig Jacobson cjake@pipeline.com
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 09:49:38 -0400

Jonathan Hart wrote:

>The Nazis tried to take over the world by overrunning and occupying
>countries, then bending them to their will.  The US does exactly the
>same thing in an economic fashion.

What an ironically idiotic statement.

Let's see:  the Nazis wanted to take over the world, exterminate entire
ethnic groups, and impose their lack-of-freedom ideology on everyone.

By some strange coincidence, Osama and his ilk want to do the exact same
thing.

The U.S. wants people everywhere to be free and choose their own leadership.

The U.S.-bashers are worried about military action against Saddam (who
has killed untold millions, unleashed chemical weapons against Iran,
gassed entire Kurdish villages, invaded Kuwait, was definitely involved
in 9/11 - terrorist Mohammed Atta met with Iraqi officials in Prague;
and is a serial rapist besides); the Taliban (who killed untold
millions, kept women virtual prisoners at home, threw homosexuals off of
building tops, etc.) and Osama (no introduction needed).  All this aside
from the fact that Saddam and al Quaeda represent real, tangible threats
against U.S. and European lives.

So, it is not "U.S. propaganda" that villanizes the enemy as you claim.
 It is their own murderous deeds that villanize them.

The truth is that the Nazis and Islamic extremists have more in common
than you might realize (see
http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110002087 for a
great article in support of current U.S. actions)

None of this is to say that the U.S. has never made foreign policy
mistakes.  But to make these comparisons is to be morally bankrupt.

And while I think European and U.S. colonialism is wrong, it has nothing
to do with the current state of the countries discussed here. After all,
Singapore was once a British colony.