Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] August 6th, 1945

David Norberg djnorberg@earthlink.net
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 22:54:22 -0700

Often the debate over the use of the bomb comes down to a discussion of the
bomb vs. full-scale invasion.  I think it's important to remember that
although the U.S. called for unconditional surrender, it actually granted
concessions - most importantly the emporer remained in power.  Thus, I think
that there were other options for ending the war.  If interested, see Gar
Alperovitz's "The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb and the Architecture of an
American Myth."  Here are a few relevant quotes:

"I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to
[Secretary of War Stimson] my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my
belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was
completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country
should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment
was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives."  -
Dwight D. Eisenhower

"[I]t always appeared to us that, atomic bomb or no atomic bomb, the
Japanese were already on the verge of collapse."  - Henry H. Arnold,
Commanding General, U.S. Army Air Forces

"[T]he use of this barbarous weapon at Hirshima and Nagasaki was of no
material assistance in our war against Japan...[I]n being the first to use
it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark
Ages, I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won
by destroying women and children."   - William D. Leahy, Fleet Admiral, U.S.
Navy and Chief of Staff to the President

Dave