Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oily Politics (was Oils on World Cafe)

Randy Van Vliet bigdaddyrv@yahoo.com
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 07:38:30 -0700 (PDT)

My take on this whole issue is that the BAND exists to
make music.  The individual members of the band
obviously have very strong political views which (as
with all of us) they are unable to separate from what
they do every day, which happens to be making some of
the best music I personally have ever experienced.
Just because the band members have strong politics
that seep over into their daily lives doesn't mean
that the BAND is all about politics.  I think what PG
is saying is that they do what they love and they love
what they do but they don't necessarily do it for us,
they do it for them.  All visionaries that I have come
in contact with are the same way, they do what they do
and you can take it or leave it for all they care.  If
you and I get excited about whatever political message
there may or may not be in the music, I think PG would
approve but I don't think they would consider
themselves a failure if we didn't.  They would still
writing music and performing and ranting whatever the
reaction.
So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I
don't separate the music from the message, I can see
why PG says it. I think that they secretly hope to
change the world but the didn't get into the BAND to
do that, they do it for the music.  Changing the world
is just a side benefit.  My 2 cents.

Randy