Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Boston WBOS gig question

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:14:28 -0400

--=====================_466849373==_.ALT

Dear Rich (and other Boston Area Powderworkers),

Hatch Shell shows are generally festival lawn seating with a vip area and
buffer zone cordoned off at the front.  Since the infamous Green Day show,
security has been pretty tight near the front barricades.  The
pedestrian/bike paths are kept clear around the periphery of the lawn areas
and the tables/tents/trailers for those exhibiting at the show will be on
the far sides of the pathways, and between the paths and Storrow Drive.

Best Bet: get there early and take up as much space as you can.  The sound
is best about 2/3 of the way up the main oval toward the stage, although
your view may get obstructed. Use a big blanket or some other expendable
item to stake out your space.  Then go help people set up their tables, eat
some organic yogurt or drink fair trade coffee samples if you get
bored.  Sometimes you can squish in at the front barricades as the set
starts, but sometimes the MDC rentacops are anal about not bothering the
picnic scene or frightening the vip area inmates (usually recording company
hacks or people who win radio station contests).

MassBike will be running bicycle valet parking for the event.  You show up
and they park your bike for the day. If you see a stoutish woman with long
reddish hair in a Green Music shirt piloting an unusual three-part bike
contraption or escorting two rather small but enthusiastic MO fans vying
for her shoulder space, do say hello.  I'm quite friendly.

I would recommend the Central Square area watering holes, as well as the
Brew Pub by Fenway park for apres Oil activity.  Copley Square and Beacon
Hill are too snooty/pricy.  The North Station area Irish pubs may be the
best bet of all.  Let me know if you settle on a venue - I'd love to join
ya if my husband, Mr. Act Locally, arrives in time for the set and can
ditch his PTA bake sale and Green Party duties early enough to tow our
youngsters home.

-Kate

p.s. www.wbos.com has info on a contest they are running for an overall
EarthFest package including backstage passes, vip seating, and promotional
excess.  Of course, you have to listen to the station to win ...

At 08:31 PM 4/22/02 -0400, Rich Karakoudas wrote:
>To all you Bostonians;
>how so they contain the lawn area for this. I understand there is seating.
>Any info on the logistics would be greatly appreciated.
>Also we should have a few afterwards mates!
>
>Rich
>still missin Sydney
>

>----------
>Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

Kate Adams
Graduate Student
Department of Work Environment
UMass Lowell
Global Free Trade: All the economic benefits of colonialism, without all
those nasty responsibilities.
*****
--=====================_466849373==_.ALT

Dear Rich (and other Boston Area Powderworkers),<br>
Hatch Shell shows are generally festival lawn seating with a vip area and
buffer zone cordoned off at the front.&nbsp; Since the infamous Green Day
show, security has been pretty tight near the front barricades.&nbsp; The
pedestrian/bike paths are kept clear around the periphery of the lawn
areas and the tables/tents/trailers for those exhibiting at the show will
be on the far sides of the pathways, and between the paths and Storrow
Drive.&nbsp; <br>
Best Bet: get there early and take up as much space as you can.&nbsp; The
sound is best about 2/3 of the way up the main oval toward the stage,
although your view may get obstructed. Use a big blanket or some other
expendable item to stake out your space.&nbsp; Then go help people set up
their tables, eat some organic yogurt or drink fair trade coffee samples
if you get bored.&nbsp; Sometimes you can squish in at the front
barricades as the set starts, but sometimes the MDC rentacops are anal
about not bothering the picnic scene or frightening the vip area inmates
(usually recording company hacks or people who win radio station
contests).&nbsp; <br>
MassBike will be running bicycle valet parking for the event.&nbsp; You
show up and they park your bike for the day. If you see a stoutish woman
with long reddish hair in a Green Music shirt piloting an unusual
three-part bike contraption or escorting two rather small but
enthusiastic MO fans vying for her shoulder space, do say hello.&nbsp;
I'm quite friendly.<br>
I would recommend the Central Square area watering holes, as well as the
Brew Pub by Fenway park for apres Oil activity.&nbsp; Copley Square and
Beacon Hill are too snooty/pricy.&nbsp; The North Station area Irish pubs
may be the best bet of all.&nbsp; Let me know if you settle on a venue -
I'd love to join ya if my husband, Mr. Act Locally, arrives in time for
the set and can ditch his PTA bake sale and Green Party duties early
enough to tow our youngsters home.<br>
-Kate<br>
p.s.
has info on a contest they are running for an overall EarthFest package including backstage passes, vip seating, and promotional excess.&nbsp; Of course, you have to listen to the station to win ...<br>
At 08:31 PM 4/22/02 -0400, Rich Karakoudas wrote:<br>
how so they contain the lawn area for this. I understand there is seating. Any info on the logistics would be greatly appreciated.<br>
Also we should have a few afterwards mates!<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Rich<br>
still missin Sydney<br>
<hr>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Kate Adams<br>
Graduate Student<br>
Department of Work Environment<br>
UMass Lowell<br>
Global Free Trade: All the economic benefits of colonialism, without all<br>
those nasty responsibilities.<br>