Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Picture in 20,000 Watt booklet

Luke Blackbourn lblackbourn@hotmail.com
Fri, 05 Apr 2002 19:18:39 +1000

<P>I think it's a place in South Africa, similar to the Sun City Resort referred to in the Artists United Against Apartheid. I guess it's the Oils' indictment of a world that would rather experience the sterile, safe, bounded&nbsp;and artificial environment&nbsp;in preference to&nbsp;the boundless natural world beyond. But hey, that's just my interpretation, and there may be an angry Powderworker who will take me to task for it!!</P>
<P>As for it being in Australia, unless it's some hideous new addition to the Queensland coastline (apologies Maroons), it aint here. I've been to many places in Oz, and the shark-infestations don't seem to bother the locals (nor do the snakes, spiders, crocs, or quokkas). Your comment about the beach being too far to walk to reminded me of the Dead Kennedys album "Give me convenience or give me Death!"</P>
<P>On that note- thanks for reminding me that it's 7.15pm on a Friday and I'm the only one in the office. At least I've got 20k RSL on, so the booklet was close to hand.</P>
<P>Cheers- I'm off for a beer. </P>
<P>Luke<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Bawolski@aol.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [Powderworks] Picture in 20,000 Watt booklet
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 00:56:47 EST
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I was wondering if someone could tell me what that is in the 20,000 Watt RSL
<DIV></DIV>&gt;CD booklet on around page 16. It looks like some kind of resort, with an
<DIV></DIV>&gt;artificial beach with possibly even wave making capabilities, just a short
<DIV></DIV>&gt;walk
<DIV></DIV>&gt;(across what looks like a golf course) from a real beach. I've always
<DIV></DIV>&gt;wondered
<DIV></DIV>&gt;what this is and thought I'd finally ask. If it is what I've just mentioned,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;why would you have something like this so close to the beach? Is the ocean
<DIV></DIV>&gt;there unsafe -
<DIV></DIV>&gt;shark infested, coral reef, too far to walk to? I figure it is somewhere in
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Australia, and maybe recognizable to some of you who live there.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Maybe it's not a resort at all but some kind of research facility (on a golf
<DIV></DIV>&gt;course).
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Thanks,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;