Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Right & Wrong (was Article to Share)

Jurriaan Kalkman thunder7@xs4all.nl
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 08:42:31 +0200 (CEST)

> I guess I don't understand.  What would you have us do?  Place an
> embargo against the terrorists?  Stop their Federal Express deliveries?
>  Ask the harboring nation to shut off their phone service?  Have the
> U.N. shake their collective finger at them?  Pray for their lost souls?
>  Hunker down in our homes and offices while we wait for the next
> attack?  Somebody please tell me what YOU think the United States needs
> to do after this event?  I am ready to listen.

I think that if the USA does something, it should pay particular attention
to hitting only the perpetrators, and no one else; _because_ it is the USA.
That is, after all, the difference between you and terrorists.

Embargos against a whole country don't help much, cruise missiles don't
help much, that much has been shown. Unfortunately, I don't know the
answer - and I can speak easily, since I live in the boring and quiet
Netherlands. I can understand the posturing and the rising anger, but it
isn't nice to hear that coming from the sole democratic superpower.
The more power you have, the more subtle you have to be, IMVHO.

Peace,
Jurriaan