Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Tragedy (NMOC)

Galina Yune lina_yune@msn.com
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:51:15 -0500

The following are the words of wisdom from John Kay - the lead singer of
another one of my favorite bands which I have been following now for many
years - Steppenwolf

"A few thoughts on yesterday's tragedy. As always it brings out the best and
the worst in people. While hundreds lined up around the block (here in
Nashville as well) to donate blood, (which I will be doing also) others
jacked up gas and hotel prices skyhigh. If we were officially at war, that
type of price gouging would be considered war profiteering.   In any case,
I'm more concerned with how we, as people and our country, respond to what
has happened. In that regard I am heartened by the way we seem to be pulling
together, putting our differences aside during this crisis. Perhaps we will
learn from this to be more tolerant of one another. While I feel that those
responsible for these terrorist acts should be sought out and brought to
justice, I also believe that for the sake of our own humanity and the honor
of our country we do not lower ourselves to their level by compounding this
tragedy by killing more innocent people elsewhere.
Hate is what is at the root of yesterday's horror and blind hate on our part
will only continue the cycle. Therefore I'm hoping that our public servants
and our military will make sure that when we strike, we know that our target
is the right one. Yesterday we called the Red Cross to make a donation, but
we will also call the Red Cross' counterpart in Islamic countries and make a
donation as well. Why? Because it is important to show that we don't' hold
millions of peace loving Muslims (of which I've meet a few in my travels)
responsible for the actions of a small group of extremists. Let us join in
helping the victims and their families, in honoring the selflessness of all
the rescue workers and in showing the world, (which is watching), that we
have not lost our courage nor our sense of justice."
John Kay

Lina