Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Detroit Show

Dave Sellars dave@davesellars.com
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 06:26:15 -0800 (PST)

--0-1400787065-1004365575=:56111

 I also was at the Detroit concert, and I'd like to add a few of my thorughts as well:
The concert was fantastic, as expeceted.  But after the show my girlfriend and I went to the backstage door and waiting.  After reading that so many people had success in getting autographs at previous concerts, I thought "What the hell".  I have an old press photo from 1988 that I got on Ebay and brought expecting only to get one or two signatures.  But much to my surprise, I got everyone in the band!  Ths was the biggest thing for me at this show.  Ths band is huge in Australia, with so many albums and 20 years of history, that after a concert at a small venue is a rather small US city, they all came out and signed EVERYONE's request.  There were two people in front of me that had CD booklets - about 20 each including bootlegs which they signed everyone of them.  Anyway, for a bad that is as huge and popular as they are, they are the most down to earth guys I have met.  Pete was cool, taking time to take to everyone and ask their names and he really made you feel like he was interested.  All of the were just really cool.
Oh yeah - and the concert was AWESOME.
PS - I was talking to a guy on the line outside waiting for the band and he said that he had taped the show.  If you are lurking out there, contact me off list.  Thanks.
  "Sorensen, James R" <JamesSorensen@eaton.com> wrote: After letting the show digest for 2 days, I can now write a review. The
show was at Clutch Cargoes, which is a renovated church. The stage being
where the alter/pulpit used to be. I thought that the acoustics were really
good due to the high ceiling and added acoustic tiles. The doors were
supposed to open at 6:00pm, but we had to wait in 35°F with light rain until
at least 6:15 to get in. There was no opening band due to the fact that the
dance club needed to open for their "regular" crowd at 10:00.

Even though we got in at 6:15, the Oils didn't come on until nearly 8:00.
The show was excellent, and nearly made my head explode. Pete ranted about
Limp Bizkit (a michigan band) for selling out and living in Hollywood,
ignoring their roots. During Forgotten Years, Pete ran over to the side of
the stage, and put his hand on the building when he was singing the line,
"Some things cannot be replaced." I took this to mean that he was talking
about what the buildings prior use was. The crowd seemed pretty sedated,
and a lot of the people standing up front with us, just stood there. I
tried to make up for them.

I caught a drumstick after the first encore, despite the fact that I had to
keep some big oaf off my back. Skill at waterpolo comes in handy sometimes.

Didn't get a setlist, but I put together the list of songs (not in order),
if anyone wants to know. We only got three new songs (Too much sunshine,
Golden Age, Mosquito March). Other highlights include Stars of Warburton,
Short Memory, and Put Down that Weapon. Most of the songs were from D&D and
BSM. I would have liked to have heard more off of RW, but hey no
complaints.

Later.

Jim Sorensen
Test Engineer
_____________________________________
Eaton Corporation - Automotive
Engine and Transmission Controls Division
315 S. First Street
P.O. Box 1404
Ann Arbor, MI 48106
Direct: (734) 623-5353 Fax: (734) 761-5936
jamessorensen@eaton.com

dave@davesellars.com
http://www.davesellars.com/

--0-1400787065-1004365575=:56111

<P> I also was at the Detroit concert, and I'd like to add a few of my thorughts as well:
<P>The concert was fantastic, as expeceted.&nbsp; But after the show my girlfriend and I went to the backstage door and waiting.&nbsp; After reading that so many people had success in getting autographs at previous concerts, I thought "What the hell".&nbsp; I have an old press photo from 1988 that I got on Ebay and brought expecting only to get one or two signatures.&nbsp; But much to my surprise, I got everyone in the band!&nbsp; Ths was the biggest thing for me at this show.&nbsp; Ths band is huge in Australia, with so many albums and 20 years of history, that after a concert at a small venue is a rather small US city, they all came out and signed EVERYONE's request.&nbsp; There were two people in front of me that had CD booklets - about 20 each including bootlegs which they signed everyone of them.&nbsp; Anyway, for a bad that is as huge and popular as they are, they are the most down to earth guys I have met.&nbsp; Pete was cool, taking time to take to everyone and ask their names and he really made you feel like he was interested.&nbsp; All of the were just really cool.
<P>Oh yeah - and the concert was AWESOME.
<P>PS - I was talking to a guy on the line outside waiting for the band and he said that he had taped the show.&nbsp; If you are lurking out there, contact me off list.&nbsp; Thanks.
<P>&nbsp; <B><I>"Sorensen, James R" &lt;JamesSorensen@eaton.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">After letting the show digest for 2 days, I can now write a review. The<BR>show was at Clutch Cargoes, which is a renovated church. The stage being<BR>where the alter/pulpit used to be. I thought that the acoustics were really<BR>good due to the high ceiling and added acoustic tiles. The doors were<BR>supposed to open at 6:00pm, but we had to wait in 35°F with light rain until<BR>at least 6:15 to get in. There was no opening band due to the fact that the<BR>dance club needed to open for their "regular" crowd at 10:00.<BR><BR>Even though we got in at 6:15, the Oils didn't come on until nearly 8:00.<BR>The show was excellent, and nearly made my head explode. Pete ranted about<BR>Limp Bizkit (a michigan band) for selling out and living in Hollywood,<BR>ignoring their roots. During Forgotten Years, Pete ran over to the side of<BR>the stage, and put his hand on the building when he was singing the line,<BR>"Some things cannot be replaced." I took this to mean that he was talking<BR>about what the buildings prior use was. The crowd seemed pretty sedated,<BR>and a lot of the people standing up front with us, just stood there. I<BR>tried to make up for them.<BR><BR>I caught a drumstick after the first encore, despite the fact that I had to<BR>keep some big oaf off my back. Skill at waterpolo comes in handy sometimes.<BR><BR>Didn't get a setlist, but I put together the list of songs (not in order),<BR>if anyone wants to know. We only got three new songs (Too much sunshine,<BR>Golden Age, Mosquito March). Other highlights include Stars of Warburton,<BR>Short Memory, and Put Down that Weapon. Most of the songs were from D&amp;D and<BR>BSM. I would have liked to have heard more off of RW, but hey no<BR>complaints.<BR><BR>Later.<BR><BR>Jim Sorensen <BR>Test Engineer <BR>_____________________________________<BR>Eaton Corporation - Automotive<BR>Engine and Transmission Controls Division<BR>315 S. First Street<BR>P.O. Box 1404<BR>Ann Arbor,
Make a great connection at <a
href="http://rd.yahoo.com/mktg/mail/txt/tagline/?http://personals.yahoo.com" target="_blank">Yahoo! Personals</a>.
--0-1400787065-1004365575=:56111--