Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oils Tribute album Reviewed. I got the CD 2day

M@TTy 84 oilsboy1984@hotmail.com
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 17:51:31 +1000

G'day All

I JUst Bought "the Power and the Passion...attribute to Midnight Oil.

Heres what i think of it Track by Track

1. Dreamworld - Something 4 Kate : - good version, true to the original, not
bad, 7/10

2. Kosciosko - Shihad : - Awesome. Very hearvy, metally guitar, I quite
liked it. Alot different from the original but sill very good. 8/10

3. Read About It - Area 7 :- Very poppy sorta version, which is Areas style.
Still as someelse from the list said they should have done something with
horns eg. Best of both worlds or P&P etc. 6.5/10

4. The Dead Heart - Frenzal :- Great Punkish Version, very fast and angry!
Kinda rip through the song. 8/10

5. Short Memory - the Superjesus :- Not bad, I like the superjesus but i
thought they could have done with it, But fairly true to the oils song and
great guitar effects. 7/10

6. Stand in Line - Regurgitator :- Total Electonic shit! Shouldn't even be
on the album when lloydies version of Armistice day is not! This song is
almost unrecognisable. Its a disgrace to the boys. 0.5/10 for getting the
chorus lyrics right!

7. Don't wanna be the one - Grinspoon :- very good. kinda rappish but good,
especially the vocals. yeh pretty creative yet not destroying the song.
7.5/10

8. Back on the Borderline - Bodyjar :- Brilliant, Great Guitar work and
drums a kinda light punky sound, very likeable. 8.5/10

9. When the Generals talk - Jebediah :-  An unique vocalist with a unique
song - how could u go wrong. Another great track that does credit to the
band. also probably heavier song then Jeb usually do.done really well.
8.5/10

10. Forgotten years - Skulker :- I liked this version. they put a nice touch
to the song and ends up sounding quite harmonic even over the heavy guitars.
I trait of this band i guess. But they put alot into it.
7.5/10

11. Power and the Passion - David MacCormack :- I dunno bout this one. All
these other effects kinda clutter the song. And his vocals get a bit
irritating toward the end. mmm i guess its ok. 5/10

12. Hercules - Waylayd :- One of the best songs on the CD. This band rocks!
y i've never head em b4 i dunno. The lead singer really does the vox well.
Even though the guitar is basically the same as the oils version. 8.5/10

13. Beds are Burning - Augie March :- Ok this is a really wierd version. Its
slow and mainly piano among other effects. Not necessarily bad but not my
kinda thing. Very Different. i could see it growing on me. 5/10

One thing i've learnt form this album is no one can do an oils song better
then the oils. Soem of these songs are good and some are crap. but its worht
pickin up to have a listen to the good ones. I know someones gunna mail me
and say that they loved the gurg s version of stand in line but just
remember this is my opinion only.

Well hope u found this informing

Matt