Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: "lucky country"?

Luke Blackbourn lblackbourn@hotmail.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:52:10 +1000

<DIV>
<P>Indi</P>
<P>I'm no great authority on Oz literature (I'm sure another worker will be), but I think it is derived from a book by Donald Horne (?), which paints the Australia of the 1950s as a land of complacent prosperity for its white inhabitants. However, the Lucky Country has entered the common language as another name for Australia, probably showing Australians' lack of understanding of Horne's intention to highlight our lack of action and concern for our situation.</P>
<P>I think the Oils intention was to reinforce Horne's ideas, hence the lyrics about backyard BBQs, clotheslines, fast food, slow life, red roofs and geckos being paid to live in the sun etc. I think they're having a go at Australians limited world view. Who knows, I could be wrong!!</P>
<P>I hope that was helpful, anyway.</P>
<P>Luke</P>
<P><BR>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Indi Trehan<INDI@MD.NORTHWESTERN.EDU>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: Powdwerworks<POWDERWORKS@CS.COLORADO.EDU>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [Powderworks] NMOC: &quot;lucky country&quot;?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:13:23 -0500
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;what is the origin of the phrase &quot;lucky country&quot; in reference to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Australia? i ask because i thought the phrase was something that the Oils
<DIV></DIV>&gt;had coined, but then i was reading an article in the Economist today about
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the upcoming elections in Australia and they used the phrase as well.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;where does it come from?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;thanks,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;indi
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;p.s. more gig reports later.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Powderworks mailing list
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Powderworks@cs.colorado.edu