Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Yobs@gigs

lou loulou@zip.com.au
Tue, 02 Oct 2001 22:00:13 +1000

hey martin,

what did you want to know about our loverly yobs? :)
ooooh they're loverly.

they're usually too drunk.

they're usually loud, and useless, and rough.

oh, and full of themselves.

they hunt in packs.

if you were from the UK you'd probably call them 'lads'.

and yet, somehow, they can be an integral part of the Oils gig. not sure if
it's a good part or a bad part, but a part nonetheless.

they usually like to congregate and try and push in right in front of
Peter, and sometimes they'll target a smaller/female person in the front
row to try and shove out of the way.

they just looooooove to wave their hand about a la Peter, and shout out
either OIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILS and/or whichever song they really, really
thought was tops about a decade ago.

a lot.

no, really, a lot.

sometimes not very coherently either.

they usually think that the Oils are absolutely GROUSE, man! and yet, won't
hesitate to lob a beer can at the band. ahhh the eternal dichotomy...(John
Montgomery, please note use of polysyllabic word).

I have noticed, however, that if you're a girl, and you smile and sing
along, so they notice that you, too, must be an Oils fan, and gosh, it's a
girl and she's not telling me to get out of her face, they can be made into
happy drunk people who won't try and push you out of their way. sometimes
they even protect you from the yobs behind them! it can work! not all the
time, but it's worth trying. it's like diversion therapy. unfortunately a
side effect may be that they think you like them. boys, I don't know if you
want to try this method ;)

please note that yobs are not an exclusively Oils phenomena.
style and colour vary from gig to gig. no rain cheques.

later!
lou

http://www.geocities.com/matt_finish_site/

http://www.geocities.com/loubottle/