Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Martin Speaks

LLOYD_Ian@canon.com.au LLOYD_Ian@canon.com.au
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:04:26 +1100

"One of the greatest live bands ever"!
Sorry mate, I have to correct that to "The greatest live band ever"!
I have to say that no-one even comes close.

Cheers!

IAN LLOYD - National Sales Admin. Team Leader
CANON - Business Imaging Solutions Group
Level 2, 1 Thomas Holt Drive, North Ryde 2113
PH: (02) 9805 2384
FAX: 1800 352227
E-MAIL: lloyd_ian@canon.com.au

                    CYakaAL@aol.com
                    Sent by:                       To:     powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
                    powderworks-admin@cs.co        cc:
                    lorado.edu                     Subject:     [Powderworks] Re: Martin Speaks

                    19/11/2001 15:36

November 18, 2001

Powderworkers,

I think it was Brian Perkins' who mentioned that the Oils feel that the more hard-core fans can
ignite the rest of the crowd.  Well, I can confirm that with a conversation I had with Martin last
night.

We were discussing the crowds in Seattle, Vancouver and Portland.  And I said that the Portland
crowd seem flat at the beginning, but in the third or fourth song they came alive.  And when the
Oils finished their last song they roared for a good 7-10 minutes.  This included a good five
minutes of spontaneous applause and whistles even after the house lights had gone on and recorded
music had started to play.  This seemed to amuse the road crew who must have known that the Oils
would not return to stage.

Martin told me that he believes that the people in the front, and he's very aware that a good
portion have been powderworkers, generate a wave of excitement that starts in the front and moves
back and out as the people behind pick up on the what I shall term the vibe.

He went on to say that very early on in the Oils career they were playing a wine bar on an ongoing
basis.  The crowd was stoic, so much so that there was a real discussion about the band packing it
in.  A good friend of his came to the show, and the person was a very gregarious personality.  He
danced, he sang and he electrified the rest of the audience into doing the same.  And Martin said,
"In my opinion that was night that we turned it around."

I have always believed that the fans generate excitement in a band, and Martin concurs, but he
really believes that those of us who show are enthusiasm during show also help get the rest of the
crowd involved in the show.  And for that he said thank you.

And I would have to say on behalf of all of us in the front row, you're welcome, but were just
enjoying what has to be one of the greatest live bands ever.

And that is all.

AL
CYakaAL@aol.com