Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] New Orleans Gig

Jacques Cuneo jccuneo@bellsouth.net
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:04:50 -0500

Hello all,

I just got back from the New Orleans gig.  If you are not familiar with it
it is very small for a HOB venue (200 on the floor, maybe?).  I along with
my wife ate at the HOB with Bridgett from Montreal who was very nice.  Also
met Tali, who was also very nice.  I need to apologize for missing them on
the way out to say bye - we needed to get out to get back to our child (who
as being babysat) and in the crowd I lost you folks.  Very nice meeting you
though!  I also met Todd Wulfmeyer at the very end - didn't get to talk
long at all.  Just enough to see he got a drumstick and to say hello.  We
were in a hurry to get out and I didn't get a chance to talk with you much
- but very nice at least putting a face with the name.

Let me just say I liked the concert a bit better than Atlanta.  The venue
was much more intimate, and the stage was very low.  No One Country, but
made up for it with a few others.  During Will Hoge's part of the show the
floor was pretty empty, leaving me worried that it would be that way for
the Oils.  True to the Big Easy, most folks wandered in 5 minutes before
they started and by the end it was packed.  The energy was great.  It was
Will Hoge's last part of the tour, so the crew was giving them hell, from
placing a "will drum for food" sign on the drum kit to walking out wearing
shorts so tiny it was scary - something you'd expect to see in the gay part
of New Orleans during Mardi Gras (I lived there 20 years, you'd be shocked
how they party in that part of town). ;-)

The neat part of Will Hoge's show was Rob hiding in the water drum and
playing anonymously during their last song - he and Will Hoge's drummer had
a duel for a bit - it was great.  They were having fun all around.

The Oils came on to very loud cheers.  This is the setlist (comments are
mine):

Redneck Wonderland
Bullroarer (!!!)
Too Much Sunshine
Dreamworld
Say Your Prayers (great live song)
Beds
Short Memory (AWESOME)
Time to Heal (odd choice, but pretty good)
Luritja Way
Blue Sky
Truganini
Tone Poem (great new song)
Dead Heart
Forgotten Years
Hercules
Now or Never Land (INCREDIBLE!!)
Sometimes
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

A few highlights from the show:

- Everyone was checked with metal detectors and all bags were searched
before the show.  So much for anyone hoping to record. LOL

- They soundchecked Return to Sender and Time to Heal.  I didn't think they
would play either - I was wrong. ;-)

- Bullroarer is probably my favorite song from D&D - a true treat!  I
haven't seen that one played this tour before.

- How many foot pedals does Jim need? ;-)

- Time to Heal was an odd choice.  I guess chosen because Breathe was
recorded in NO?  As an acoustic song it was very nice, though.

- My wife hates Short Memory because it is one of those addictive tunes and
cursed it again this morning, as she dreamt the song all night. LOL
Needless to say one of the highlights of the show.

- There was a nice couple there who were on their honeymoon and it was the
girl's birthday.  They tried to get the Oils to play Lucky Country to no
avail. Drat.

- Pete made a comment about refusing to back down to terrorism and
completing their tour to loud cheers.

- Tone Poem is my favorite of the new ones I have heard.

- Now or Never Land is my favorite E&S&M song, and this verion was
INCREDIBLE.  I was right in front of Bones the whole gig (got his setlist),
so this song really had impact.

- My wife watched Bones gving Rob a hard time on stage and her laughing
caught Bones eye, to which he evidently winked and smiled at her.  You
hittin' on my wife Bones? LOL

-  The last song was a jam session between Will Hoge's band and the Oils.
They chose Keep on Rockin' in the Free World.  GREAT ending to the gig.
The only one not playing was Bones, who was recording the whole thing with
their video camera.  I expect a clip or two from that to hit the website.

- After the show was over the crowd refused to go and roared for a good
five minutes to get them back, but they had left the building, so to speak.
 I guess its that 1 1/2 hour time limit thing at the HOB.  If allowed, I
think they would have returned.  Was great to hear them get such a sendoff.
 Much better than Atlanta, where the security guys kicked everyone out 30
seconds after it concluded.

Glad to meet the folks there!  Hope to see you all next spring for their
next tour.

Take care.

Jacques