Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Varied issues

Brian Mansberger brimans@hotmail.com
Tue, 06 Nov 2001 10:42:51 -0500

Hello all -

1) For starters, I too expected a little something more critical from PG
about the war in Afghanistan, but what would *YOU* do if you were a foreign
band touring in a country which has just had its worst war tragedy
committed?  You'd tread lightly (since you are ultimately there to
entertain) -- no sense inflaming the possibly hostile crowd and ruining the
entire show.  C'mon.  It's just common sense.  Things like this are highly
explosive issues right now.  I think Garrett's response during his shows to
the tragedy have been highly appropriate, expressing sorrow for the deaths
while withholding support for any military action.

2) I want the new release of the 20,000 Watt RSL DVD, but it's PAL and I am
a North American -- what options do I have to play it without buying an $800
PAL/NTSC DVD player?

3) The material from the new album sounds like it's going to be a beautiful
one, a lot of melodic guitars (like ESM) -- gone (maybe) are the primal, raw
sounds from Redneck Wonderland (which I also enjoyed)....we'll see, but it
looks excellent so far, if the new material is any indication.

4) I was at the first show at the HOB in Chicago -- I was the guy with the
goatee and black shirt in front middle jumping around like a lunatic and
singing at the top of my lungs.  My voice was in the gutter for 4 days
afterwards. :)  I took my girlfriend to the show (who is ambivalent to the
Oils) and she admitted to me that it was the best show she's ever seen, and
that the energy was AMAZING.

Peace,
Brian