Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Dispassionate Rants, Passionate Songs

Matthew Silvey duncan@crystal.dman.com
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 17:00:39 -0500

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 12:10:08AM -0800, James Warren wrote:

> Anyway, from the rants that I heard, Peter was not parroting
> the media line.  He was outspoken for justice in the world,
> especially for those who lack power.  In general, his rants
> were minimal, but you know what?  The songs say far more than
> he does in his rants!
> Opening with a blistering version of Redneck Wonderland was
> not a random decision.  It spoke to the racism we have seen
> in the US.  And Short Memory.  It was pretty clear to me
> the relevance of that song.

also closing with 'read about it' was an interesting point. there are a lot of
media outlets out there trying to cover many points of view. if you arent
thinking when you read them then the people trying to shape your opinions have
already won.

yeah, i liked the song choices. it seemed like a well chosen set. short memory
is very appropriate for things going on right now in the world.

was there a pre-concert meeting in nyc? i didnt get to the venue till about
10ish. had to meet some friends for drinks over at jimmy's corner bar. saw a
few people there who were at the show later. i thought they looked familiar
from the new yorker people. eh, who knows. im glad i came up to nyc to see
the show. id also love to thank the guy who sold me a tkt at the last minute.
i just sort of showed up at the willcall line and waited for someone to sell
some tkts at non scalper pricing. whew.

matthew