Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Loaded with props - Philly show

Peter Norton penorton@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 22:41:07 -0500

Well, I can't say just how good the Philly show was, as it was my first.
But I certainly enjoyed it.  Good to meet all of the workers, especially
Alan and Jim.  I ended up in the front row, standing just below Jim Moginie.
I was really more amazed by him and Rob, then by Pete or anyone else.  The
Dead Heart and Hercules were my high points of the show.

As for Will Hoge's story, they opened the show by stating that the last 5
days had been the worst in their musical career.  They opted out of the
Canadian shows to meet a previous obligation, the "Voodoo Fest" I think it
was, in New Orleans.  Will then went on to relate their horror story of
flying down there (their first time to fly!).  A broken down puddle-jumper,
re-booked to Charlotte, really bad turbulence, etc.  After playing several
more songs, he then said they'd had their van broken into the night before
the show, a drum set and guitar taken.  Then had to sleep in the van to keep
it from being stolen.  Later, when the Oils where on, Peter said something
to the effect of showing Will Hoge how musical loving a city Philly is.  I
thought they were pretty good, I especially liked their rendition of "She's
Got a Ticket to Ride", which they closed with.