Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Finally!

Lina Yune midoil2001@yahoo.com.au
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:14:22 +1100 (EST)

--0-1924116222-1008206062=:20554

 I love reading other parents comments about Kids and Oils.
I have 10 year old daughter, who loves Oils.  Her favourite CDs are Breathe, The Real Thing, and 20K RSL.  Both of us just love to sing along, and adding our own vocal harmonies as we sing.  The amazing thing is that my daughter believes that Time To Heal and Short Memory are very sentimental to her now.
Just before Thanksgiving we went to her school to meet with the teacher and the principal, because she made an honor roll again.  While reviewing all her excellent work in the folder, I opened her Social Studies essay about the world today.  She wrote nice essay, but one little problem: she had simply re-worded and re-mixed Short Memory/Hercules/US Forces/Time To Heal.  I recognized all the songs there right away.  I can't believe the teacher never caught that!  My daughter (and Oils) got an A+ !
  bruce@oils-forever.com wrote: Randy and all,

Excellent to see the lamp being passed on to the next generation....

here's another story to be filed under the "I don't mean to brag, but...." department.

My oldest girl and I played at a coffee house last w/e; it was a Bob Dylan/folkie night, and along with a bunch of Dylan standards, we threw in a folky duo version of "Time To Heal." (What a beautiful tune)It was our first real 'gig' outside of church stuff, and the first time I've done an Oils tune when playing out. Large fun on both counts.

Cheers,

/bruce

ps. Randy, I'd be curious to know how your daughter's teacher responds to that assignment. :)

-----Original Message-----
>From : Randy Van Vliet
To : powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
Date : 11 December 2001 18:14:06
Subject : [Powderworks] Finally!
My (almost) 14 year old daughter, who has so far been
>fairly resistant to the Oils but tolerates my
>obsession, had to pick a polular music song that she
>feels has a message and write about the message of the
>song and why she felt the songwriter wrote the song.
>She chose Midnight Oil (Forgotten Years). I'm so
>proud. It won't be long until my little baby (ok,
>she's almost as big as me at 14) is a true
>Powderworker. Gotta go listen to BSM.
>
>Randy

----------
Get a fun email address at http://another.com
COOL: Personalise a t-shirt with your name/email/slogan
from 9.99 pounds. CLICK HERE http://another-shop.com

Lina

Where is the ground, the beloved country? Women and men who have fallen silent Where are the words that can speak forgiveness? Now is the time Now is the time Now is the time to heal

Midnight Oil

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Shopping- Free CDs for thousands of Priority Shoppers!
--0-1924116222-1008206062=:20554

<P>&nbsp;I love reading other parents comments about Kids and Oils.
<P>I have 10 year old daughter, who loves Oils.&nbsp; Her favourite CDs are Breathe, The Real Thing, and 20K RSL.&nbsp; Both of us just love to sing along, and adding our own vocal harmonies as we sing.&nbsp; The amazing thing is that my daughter believes that Time To Heal and Short Memory are very sentimental to her now.
<P>Just before Thanksgiving we went to her school to meet with the teacher and the principal, because she made an honor roll again.&nbsp; While reviewing all her excellent work in the folder, I opened her Social Studies essay about the world today.&nbsp; She wrote nice essay, but one little problem: she had simply re-worded and re-mixed Short Memory/Hercules/US Forces/Time To Heal.&nbsp; I recognized all the songs there right away.&nbsp; I can't believe the teacher never caught that!&nbsp; My daughter (and Oils) got an A+ !&nbsp;
<P>&nbsp; <B><I>bruce@oils-forever.com</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Randy and all,<BR><BR>Excellent to see the lamp being passed on to the next generation....<BR><BR>here's another story to be filed under the "I don't mean to brag, but...." department.<BR><BR>My oldest girl and I played at a coffee house last w/e; it was a Bob Dylan/folkie night, and along with a bunch of Dylan standards, we threw in a folky duo version of "Time To Heal." (What a beautiful tune)It was our first real 'gig' outside of church stuff, and the first time I've done an Oils tune when playing out. Large fun on both counts.<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR><BR>/bruce<BR><BR>ps. Randy, I'd be curious to know how your daughter's teacher responds to that assignment. :)<BR><BR>-----Original Message-----<BR>From : Randy Van Vliet <BIGDADDYRV@YAHOO.COM><BR>To : powderworks@cs.colorado.edu<BR>Date : 11 December 2001 18:14:06<BR>Subject : [Powderworks] Finally!<BR>My (almost) 14 year old daughter, who has so far been<BR>&gt;fairly resistant to the Oils but tolerates my<BR>&gt;obsession, had to pick a polular music song that she<BR>&gt;feels has a message and write about the message of the<BR>&gt;song and why she felt the songwriter wrote the song. <BR>&gt;She chose Midnight Oil (Forgotten Years). I'm so<BR>&gt;proud. It won't be long until my little baby (ok,<BR>&gt;she's almost as big as me at 14) is a true<BR>&gt;Powderworker. Gotta go listen to BSM.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Randy<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;__________________________________________________<BR>&gt;Do You Yahoo!?<BR>&gt;Check out Yahoo! Shopping and Yahoo! Auctions for all of<BR>&gt;your unique holiday gifts! Buy at http://shopping.yahoo.com<BR>&gt;or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com<BR>&gt;_______________________________________________<BR>&gt;Powderworks mailing list<BR>&gt;Powderworks@cs.colorado.edu<BR>&gt;http://www.cs.colorado.edu/mailman/listinfo/powderworks<BR>&gt;<BR><BR><BR>----------<BR>Get a fun email address at http://another.com<BR>COOL: Personalise a t-shirt with your name/email/s
logan <BR>from 9.99 pounds. CLICK HERE http://another-shop.com</BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR><P>Lina</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P><EM>Where is the ground, the beloved country? Women and men who have fallen silent Where are the words that can speak forgiveness? Now is the time Now is the time Now is the time to heal </P>