Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: Africa in Australia?

Lina Yune midoil2001@yahoo.com.au
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 01:01:45 +1100 (EST)

--0-537532923-1008079305=:34697

 Hmmmm....
There ain't an easy answer to this one.
>From one point of view, it's a chance for saving an endangered species of African continent.  The species that are being killed by the poachers, now can be restored in a protected environment.  It sounds like a safari type park, which would generate income by increasing tourism into the area, and therefore creating new jobs, and new economy.
However, how will that affect the native species of Australia?  What if the new animals, which are introduced into Australia carry some diseases which would wipe out certain Australian species?  What if the newcomers begin multiplying at the alarming rate, and invade the local species and/or plants?  What if the reserve gets sold, and / or the owner will no longer be responsible, and it will be left by itself?  What if?  I still recall the history of rabbits in Australia, the goats in Galapagos.
Another question that I may ask is will the safed African species be returned back to their land where they belong?  Isn't that the real issue of the project?  Or is it purely for profit?
Something to thing about there, eh?
I guess all those issues have to be taken into consideration, before the project of such magnitude can be created.
  "Maurice R. Kelly" <mkelly@deadheart.org.uk> wrote: Hi,

Since it's been a bit quiet in the last few days, I thought I'd throw
this into the mix...

http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,3397523%255E948,00.html

It seems like a good idea at a macroscopic level, but when I think about
it a bit more, it seems like the idea of bringing "alien" animals into
Australia has generally done more harm than good.

I haven't studied this subject, but a couple of books I've read in the
last year have tended to point out that many extinctions in Australian
wildlife were related to the introduction of foreign species which
unbalanced the natural habitat.

Isn't the idea of an African reserve in Australia a very similar mistake
in the making?

And on a completely Hollywood level, isn't it all a bit Jurassic Park
sounding?

Anyhow, something to think about...

--
Maurice R. Kelly
mkelly@deadheart.org.uk

Lina

Where is the ground, the beloved country? Women and men who have fallen silent Where are the words that can speak forgiveness? Now is the time Now is the time Now is the time to heal

Midnight Oil

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Shopping- Free CDs for thousands of Priority Shoppers!
--0-537532923-1008079305=:34697

<P> Hmmmm....
<P>There ain't an easy answer to this one.
<P>From one point of view, it's a chance for saving an endangered species of African continent.&nbsp; The species that are being killed by the poachers, now can be restored in a protected environment.&nbsp; It sounds like a safari type park, which would generate income by increasing tourism into the area, and therefore creating new jobs, and new economy.
<P>However, how will that affect the native species of Australia?&nbsp; What if the new animals, which are introduced into Australia carry some diseases which would wipe out certain Australian species?&nbsp; What if the newcomers begin multiplying at the alarming rate, and invade the local species and/or plants?&nbsp; What if the reserve gets sold, and / or the owner will no longer be responsible, and it will be left by itself?&nbsp; What if?&nbsp; I still recall the history of rabbits in Australia, the goats in Galapagos.
<P>Another question that I may ask is will the safed African species be returned back to their land where they belong?&nbsp; Isn't that the real issue of the project?&nbsp; Or is it purely for profit?
<P>Something to thing about there, eh?
<P>I guess all those issues have to be taken into consideration, before the project of such magnitude can be created.
<P>&nbsp; <B><I>"Maurice R. Kelly" &lt;mkelly@deadheart.org.uk&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Hi,<BR><BR>Since it's been a bit quiet in the last few days, I thought I'd throw<BR>this into the mix...<BR><BR>http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,3397523%255E948,00.html<BR><BR>It seems like a good idea at a macroscopic level, but when I think about<BR>it a bit more, it seems like the idea of bringing "alien" animals into<BR>Australia has generally done more harm than good.<BR><BR>I haven't studied this subject, but a couple of books I've read in the<BR>last year have tended to point out that many extinctions in Australian<BR>wildlife were related to the introduction of foreign species which<BR>unbalanced the natural habitat.<BR><BR>Isn't the idea of an African reserve in Australia a very similar mistake<BR>in the making?<BR><BR>And on a completely Hollywood level, isn't it all a bit Jurassic Park<BR>sounding? <BR><BR>Anyhow, something to think about...<BR><BR>-- <BR>Maurice R. Kelly<BR>mkelly@deadheart.org.uk<BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR>Powderworks mailing list<BR>Powderworks@cs.colorado.edu<BR>http://www.cs.colorado.edu/mailman/listinfo/powderworks</BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR><P>Lina</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P><EM>Where is the ground, the beloved country? Women and men who have fallen silent Where are the words that can speak forgiveness? Now is the time Now is the time Now is the time to heal </P>